The Town of Canmore has 8 boards and committees that invite public participation. Each fall, the Town advertises for several weeks, encouraging community members to apply for a position on a board or committee. Council appoints the appropriate number of citizens to each board or committee each year.
Click here to download an application.
We have something for everyone. Community members with a variety of interests, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds are encouraged to serve on the Town's boards and committees. Applications will be available on the website during the advertising campaign.
- Heliport Monitoring Committee - Council will appoint members at the May 1, 2012 regular business meeting.
- Budget Committee - Assists Council in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities for the budgeting process. The committee will review the proposed budget and advise Council on the 2013 budget. The Committee will become active beginning with budget reviews in September, 2012. Budget meetings are expected to consist of 8 to 10 half day commitments plus Council reviews.
- Canmore Planning Commission -Works with the Planning and Engineering Department to review and make decisions on major commercial development permit applications in the Town, applying the Town's Land Use Bylaw.
- Community Services Advisory Committee - Provides advice to Council on the strategic direction and the recreational, cultural, and social implications of Town services, programs, facilities and related projects, as they pertain to community social fabric and identity.
- Community Public Art Committee - Works to foster an appreciation for the role of public art in our community and to ensure that a high standard of public art is maintained through planning, placement, acquisition, and maintenance practices.
- Environmental Advisory Review Committee -Provides advice and assistance to Council concerning the application of the environmental provisions of policies contained within the Municipal Development Plan. Also advises Council on furthering public awareness of environmental and sustainability issues.
- Subdivision and Development Appeal Board - Reviews appeals of decisions made by the Town regarding development permits and subdivision applications.
- Canmore Policing Committee - The Policing Committee is to act as a liaison between Council, the RCMP detachment, Town Administration and the citizens of Canmore in fostering responsible community actions towards the creation of a safe, secure community. The committee shall do this by encouraging an environment which allows for public concerns to be addressed by all affected parties
- Teepee Town Task Force - The Task Force works with Planning and Development to comment on planning matters regarding the implementation of the Teepee Town Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) and ongoing development in the area.
- Property Tax Task Force - This task force engages stakeholders in a review of municipal tax classifications and mill rate splits and provides advice to council on an appropriate level of taxation between municiipal tax classifications. Applicants must be residential tax payers.