Town of Canmore

Starting a Business in Canmore

Civic Centre Business Hours

Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
Phone: (403) 678-1523
Fax: (403) 678-1524
E-mail: businessregistry(at)
Address: 902 7th Avenue
Canmore, AB  T1W-3K1

When considering opening a business within the Town of Canmore please review the following information. Permits and application forms can be provided by visiting the Town of Canmore Civic Centre front desk reception at 902 7th Avenue. Business License forms are also available on the sidebar of this page. 

Getting Started

Consider your Location

The first thing you should consider is the physical location. The business location you choose has to be zoned for that particular purpose. Prior to signing a lease call the Planning Department at 403.678.1543 to see if that location is approved for your type of business. You may need a Confirmation of Zoning or a Development Permit for a change of use.

Are you doing renovations?

If so, you will likely require a Building Permit. An Occupancy Certificate will be issued once construction is complete. Contact the Planning Department at 403.678.1543 to inquire if a permit is required.

All signage requires a permit

Prior to ordering any signs, refer to the Sign Regulations and complete the "Development Permit Application - Signage" form. Contact: Planning 403.678.1543 -

Automotive Repair or Dealerships

If you are opening an automotive repair shop or dealership you must contact AMVIC and get approval prior to obtaining your Town licence. Contact: 877.979.8100

Food, Salons, Tattoos or other Health Services

You will require a certificate from Alberta Health Services if you are dealing with food, salons, tattoos and other personal health services. Contact: Health Inspector at 403.678.5656 for guidelines and an appointment.

Waste & Recycling Plan

Consider how you are going to manage your waste and recycling and what type of disposal is going to be necessary to operate your business. All restaurants are required to have a grease trap (interceptor) and submit an annual maintenance schedule to Public Works. Contact Public Works at 403.678.1580.

Choosing a Business Name

Did you choose a name for your business. If you are using a name other than your first and last name you must provide the Town with a copy of your Trade Name Registration from the registry office. Contact: Canmore Registry at 104 - 837 Main Street—Phone 403.678.9320.

Fire Inspections

Fire Inspections must be conducted prior to opening your business and ‘all’ applicable approvals listed in Steps 1 to 7 must be met before the fire inspection is done. Set up your appointment 1 month in advance of opening. Contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 403.678.0199.

Business License Application

Complete the Business Licence Application Form and attach copies of the Trade Name and Lease Agreement documents. (If applicable). Once ALL approvals have been met, the business licence will be issued. Contact: Business Registry Coordinator at 403.678.1523 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.