Busking in Canmore
Busking returns to Canmore this spring! Keep your ears open for live music at key locations around Canmore including Riverside Park and Friendship Park!
Busking is permitted only in approved areas between May 8 to Oct. 11. Buskers must comply with the busking conditions. Read below for details.
· Buskers must apply on an annual basis.
· Buskers must always carry their license on their person, in paper or digital format, during their performances, and it must be supplied upon request of a Peace Officer. Failure to do so may result in a fine subject to the Business Registry Bylaw 2015-02 (253 KB).
· Buskers are permitted to sell recordings of their own performance and can display them in their instrument case. Sale of other forms of merchandise is not permitted.
· Bagpipes, horns, and bagpipe use are only permitted in the Elevation Place Plaza.
· Buskers must comply with the busking conditions (see application package). Please read carefully.
Buskers must be over the age of 12. Any buskers under the age of 16 must have an adult accompany them while performing. Buskers must apply on an annual basis.
· Busking pdf license application form (1.44 MB)
· Parental or guardian consent, if applicable
· Acknowledgement of busking conditions; refer to the application form
Busking license fee: $32.50 for the busking season
Average processing time of complete applications is up to 10-15 business days. Processing times may vary. Incomplete applications can significantly impact processing times. Busking licenses are temporary and do not renew. If you wish to return next season, please apply for a new license.
· Busking is permitted only in areas identified on the Town of Canmore locations map from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, with the exception of Riverside Park where performances are permitted from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, from May 8 to Oct. 11.
· Busking operates on a first-come, first-served basis, and maximum performance duration of two hours per location. After performing for a maximum of two hours the busker must move to a different location and may not return to that location for the remainder of the day.
· Any busking done outside of these and other busking conditions, is subject to penalties, including but not limited to a financial fine, revoking of license, and inability to apply for a license in the following calendar year.
· Buskers must always carry their license on their person, in paper or digital format, during their performances, and it must be supplied upon request of a Municipal Enforcement or Peace Officer. Failure to do so may result in a fine subject to the Business Registry Bylaw 2015-02 (253 KB).
How to make a request:
1. Obtain letters/emails of support from your neighbouring street-facing business owners; if applicable, ground-floor, adjacent, overhead, and below. Letters of support or opposition must all be submitted. Letters are to include the name of the business, address, contact person, and position within the company, and if they support or oppose the request.
2. Complete the application form: pdf Click here (1.20 MB) to download.
Submitting a request does not guarantee approval.