SMARTstart is an entrepreneurial training program with three components: online learning, in-person seminars, and mentorship. Town of Canmore Economic Development is pleased to offer SMARTstart to our community, in partnership with the Bow Valley Chamber of Commerce. The program is delivered over 8 months, with one intake per year. The program is for anyone with a business idea, or new business owners in their first 3 years of operation, seeking to base their businesses in Canmore.
Applications for the class of 2023 are now open! Apply by May 15 to be considered.
|Student Applications Open||March 15, 2022|
March 29, 12 - 1 p.m. (Zoom)
April 12, 7 - 8 p.m. (In-Person)
|Application Deadline||May 15, 11:59 p.m.|
|Selection Process & Interviews||May 16 – June 3|
|Applicants Notified||June 6|
|Program Launch||Sept. 8|
|Workshop Seminars||Thursdays, Sept. 22, 2022 - April 20, 2023|
|Online Learning||Sept. 23, 2022– April 10, 2022|
|Draft Plan Submitted||Jan.27, 2023|
|Second Draft Plan Submitted||March 24, 2023|
|Final Plan Submitted||April 24, 2023|
|Program Ends||April 24, 2023|
|End Celebration Event||April 28, 2023|
Applications for the next cohort are now open! To learn more about the application process, come along to one of the information sessions detailed below. If you’re ready to apply, click here to submit your application.
We will be hosting two information sessions as an opportunity to learn more and have your questions answered, one virtual, and one in-person.
March 29, 2022, 12 - 1 p.m. (Zoom)
April 12, 2022, 7 - 8 p.m. (In-Person at Elevation Place)
If you missed the information session, click here to watch a recording of the virtual session. Passcode: ^P8m$1Wn
Remember when you were just starting out in business? Your enthusiasm, the long hours, and just how much you wished you had someone to bounce your ideas off? SMARTstart is your chance to share your wisdom, business expertise, and lessons learned with entrepreneurs who are just getting into the game.
To learn more, visit the SMARTstart mentor information page
To learn more about the program, click here to visit the SMARTstart website. To learn specifics about Canmore’s delivery of the program, please register for an upcoming information session, either virtual or in-person. If you missed the information session, click here to watch a recording of the virtual session. Passcode; ^P8m$1Wn
• Experience running a business for more than seven years (Retirees welcome)
• Approximately 30 hours (spread over eight months) to volunteer their time with a new entrepreneur
• Are Canmore locals
• Understand and value the importance of business planning
• Meet with their entrepreneur at least three times and be in regular touch by phone or email
• Attend the welcome event, celebration event, and at least one peer-to-peer session
• Be welcome to attend any of the in-person seminars for the entrepreneurs (optional but encouraged)
• Be instrumental in assisting the entrepreneur as they create a plan (business, feasibility, or strategic)
• Participate in a mentor training/orientation session