Town of Canmore



Where do I go for information about Alberta's Relaunch Plan?
Alberta Relaunch Plan to re-open our economy will occur in stages. Click here for more information about what this means for your business.

Relaunch Policies and Procedures

All workplaces are expected to develop and implement policies and procedures to address COVID-19 prior to reopening or to continue operations after May 1. Click here for more information

Biz Connect

Click here for provincial relaunch guidance for various sectors


For questions about the relaunch plan for businesses, email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
Is the Town of Canmore considering closing Main Street to vehicle traffic?
As of June 12, we are closing part of Main Street between 8 ave and 10 ave to motor-vehicle traffic to create a safe and vibrant space for cyclists and pedestrians. Click here for more information on what this means for you
What steps do I need to take to safely open? 
How do I find the right PPE for my business?

Local Businesses

Which Canmore and area businesses are still offering delivery or curbside pick up?
Downtown Canmore has compiled a current list of businesses offering delivery and curbside pick-up. You can find the list here


What resources exist to help me support my employees or keep them working?
I cannot afford to keep my employees on, what do I do?
You can issue a temporary lay-off notice allowing your employees to apply for regular Employment Insurance benefits. Contact your CFIB counselor at 1.888.234.2232 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to ensure you are in compliance with the law in your province/territory.
Click here for more information.   
What will happen to my Temporary Foreign Workers on visas and international students? 
Temporary foreign workers (including workers part of the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program), international students, and workers on visas will be allowed entry into Canada, despite restricted border measures, provided that they self-isolate for 14 days.
My employee is invoking their “right to refuse” unsafe work – what do I do?
Under Occupational Health and Safety legislation, employees have a right to refuse work if they have reasonable grounds to believe it is dangerous to their health or safety. Remind your employees of the preventive measures that have been put in place, and the safety products available to them. 

You may choose to reassign work. In this case, the employee must receive the same wages and benefits as they would have received under their previous assignment. Please review the OH&S legislation in your jurisdiction for guidance on further reporting responsibilities, or talk to a CFIB Business Counsellor (1.888.234.2232 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).
I think my business should be closed, but they’re still asking me to report to work. What should I do?
Review Alberta's Relaunch Plan for information regarding the timing of phased reopenings for each industry. You are encouraged to discuss the situation with your employer. If your employer is not following the Public Health Order regarding Alberta's Relaunch Plan, you should submit a complaint online immediately.
Should I still go to work?
If your place of work is open, and you are not experiencing symptoms, you can go to work as usual. Practicing good hygiene is the most important thing Albertans can do to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This includes cleaning your hands regularly, avoiding touching your face, and staying home and away from others if you are sick.


What resources exist to help prepare my business to survive the long run?
Email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you would like to be added to our mailing list which will send out more business updates with resources as it becomes available. 
Visit our resource page for more information about available supports
Where can I go to connect with other Canmore business owners?
There are some online social groups locals are creating to connect with each other and share advice. It is important to note these groups are not monitored by the Town of Canmore to ensure the accuracy of information. 

Facebook groups: Bow Valley Community Connections, Bow Valley Small Businesses, Marketing Help For Business During COVID-19. 

Financial Assistance

I operate a hotel or accommodation business. Can I defer my tourism levy payments?
Yes. As part of Alberta’s response to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak, operators of hotels and other types of lodging will be able to defer the payment of the tourism levy, until August 31, 2020.  Click here for more information
Do businesses still have to remit the tourism levy collected for the March 27 – August 31, 2020 period? 
Yes. Businesses will still be required to remit the tourism levy collected from their guests between March 27 and August 31, as any other amounts collected prior to March 27. But they can delay paying these amounts until August 31, 2020. The amounts qualifying for the deferral will not be subject to penalties or interest. Click here for more information
What financial supports are available to me as a business owner? 
Each level of government has offered different forms of financial assistance.
Click here for more information about financial support for businesses.
I am a tourism operator how do I get help? 
If you are a tourism operator, a small business, or an organization affected by COVID-19 and need pressing assistance, the regional development agencies could assist you with access to federal funding and services.
Click here for updates relevant to the tourism industry.
Can my business delay WCB premiums?
Small, medium and large private-sector employers can defer WCB premiums until early 2021. Employers who have already paid their WCB premium payment for 2020-21 are eligible for a rebate or credit. For small and medium businesses, the government will cover 50 percent of the premium when it is due. Large employers will also receive a break by having their 2020 WCB premium payments deferred until early 2021, at which time their premiums will be due.
How will my WCB premiums be calculated at the end of 2020? 
Premiums will be calculated based on your actual insurable earning for 2020.  If you have fewer employees working fewer hours, your insurable earnings will be less and as a result, your WCB premiums will be less. If you are a small or medium-sized employer, 50 percent of your 2020 WCB premiums will be paid by the government and you will pay the other half.


My business is dependent on events, how do I know when to cancel?
All town-led events have been canceled until the end of September, 2020. All events permits for events over 15 have been rescinded as per the provincial guidelines limiting mass gatherings to less than 15 attendees. This includes worship gatherings and family events such as weddings and funerals and includes the number of employees. 
I purchased a liquor license for my event, but the event is now canceled. Can I get a refund from AGLC?
People who had planned to host private events and had already purchased special event licenses may apply for refunds by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website Security Test