Solar Incentive Program
The Town of Canmore offers an annual solar incentive rebate program for residents and businesses to help offset the cost of purchasing and installing a rooftop solar photovoltaic system in Canmore.
Applications for the 2023 program will open February 13, with an application deadline of 4 p.m. on March 27, 2023. The solar incentive is $1,250.
If more applications are received than available incentives, successful applicants will be determined by a lottery. All applicants will be notified as to whether or not they have been selected to receive an incentive by the end of March.
Solar Incentive Details
- The incentive is $1,250, regardless of the size of the system. Minimum requirements are 3 kW solar photovoltaic system,
- The solar system must be installed between March 29 and December 15, 2023. The incentive is not retroactive for existing systems.
- a final paid invoice for the installation; and
- the Microgeneration Agreement with Fortis.
- Incentives will be paid by electronic funds transfer or mailed cheque after the project is completed and required documents are received by the Town, unless the project is financed through Canmore’s Clean Energy Improvement Program (CEIP).
- Residents financing a solar installation through CEIP can apply for the solar incentive program provided timelines align. The solar incentive payment will be applied to the CEIP financing instead of being paid directly to the resident.
Permitting Requirements for Solar Installations
- All projects must meet building and electrical safety code requirements. All electrical systems must be CSA or ULC approved for installation in Canada.
- An Electrical Permit is required.
- A Mircrogeneration Agreement with Fortis is required. Installers can generally help with this as well as the Electrical Permit.
- A Development Permit is not required, provided the solar panels do not extend above the peak of the roof, do not extend more than 1.5 metres above the roof at any point, and fit into the range of appropriate roof colors described the Town of Canmore Land Use Bylaw, which are generally darker colors.
- A Building Permit is not required, provided the solar panels are flush mounted on existing construction in an approved manner as per the installation guide. Upstand mounted systems may require both a Development Permit and/or Building Permit, please fill out the Contact Planning form to discuss.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete the 2023 Solar Incentive Application Form (Application Form available Feb. 13, 2023)
- Applications must be received by 4 p.m. MST on Monday, March 27, 2023 to be eligible for the solar incentive lottery.
It's recommended you obtain a few installer assessments and quotes for your project. You can visit Solar Alberta to find a list of installers/contractors serving Canmore.