Why Licence Your Pet
Licencing your pet with the Town of Canmore will help have your pet returned to you faster to reduce stress on you and your pet! Dog licencing is also mandatory. To apply for a licence please fill out the forms below
Process for New Application - Online:
- Download and complete the above application form.
- A member of our team will contact you to arrange payment over the phone. Alternatively, you can drop a cheque off with your application in the mail-drop slot made payable to "Town of Canmore."
- The dog tag will be mailed to you.
Process for New Application - In Person:
- Complete your application in person at the Canmore Civic Centre, 902 7 Ave, Canmore, AB, T1W 3K1.
Dog Licence Fees are as follows:
|Month Purchased||One Year Licence||Three Year Licence|
|January - March||
|April - June||$41.50||$105.00|
|July - September||$28.00||$96.00|
|October - December||$14.50||$87.00|
|Cat Licence (voluntary)||$25.00|
|Kenneling Fee per day||$20.00|
* Licences expire on Dec. 31 and must be renewed prior to Jan. 1 for the following year.
** The pro-rated fees are applied to new applications only.
Town of Canmore dog licence fees pay for the following:
- Food and treats for lost or abandoned dogs and cats.
- Maintenance of the kenneling facility.
- Mutt Mitts (poop bags). Annually over $23,000 is spent on maintaining and operating this program.
- Veterinarian visits for sick abandoned animals, medications, and surrendering fees.
My Licence Is My Ticket Home
Having a valid dog licence ensures the Town of Canmore Municipal Enforcement can identify your dog and return it home to you. If a lost dog is found at large and is wearing a Municipal Enforcement Officers will attempt to return your dog, free of charge*. If you are not at home we will care for your dog in our kenneling facility until you can pick up your pet.
*Drive Home Program only applies to dogs that have a valid licence in the Town of Canmore and one occurrence is permitted per year. Certain circumstances shall void the return of an animal for free.
Voluntary Cat Licencing
Owners of cats may voluntarily licence their cats for a one-time fee of $25.00. This voluntary licence will enhance the ability for Municipal Enforcement to ensure the safe return of your cat should it come into our possession.