Why Food Trucks?
Food trucks can be a driver of economic vibrancy by promoting business incubation, opening new opportunities for under-represented entrepreneurs, and allowing for diversification.
Food trucks allow first-time food entrepreneurs to test branding, menu ideas, and business concepts before making larger-scale investments. For women and minority-owned food businesses who often lack the access to capital needed for costly early-stage investments, a food truck provides a relatively low-cost opportunity, that allows entrepreneurs a thoughtful way to grow their businesses so they can transition into brick-and-mortar ventures. And the lower cost of entry into the industry promotes opportunity for business diversification and reaching other markets for food-preneurs by expanding the market for brick and mortars, and testing new menu ideas or concepts
How It Works
• As part of a Town of Canmore approved community event that includes food trucks;
• On a non-residential zoned private property with a valid Vendor Business License and a valid Temporary/Seasonal Development Permit; or
• At a pre-approved Town of Canmore location as part of the Food Truck Pilot Project with a valid Food Truck Permit and Vendor Business License. No development permit required.
If a permit becomes available through revocation, surrender, or increase in permit numbers, the applicant whose name is at the top of the waiting list shall be given notice at the provided email address and will have seven days to notify the Town of their intent. Failing that, their name will be removed from the waiting list and the offer will be forfeited.
Food truck vendors will be required to apply for their intended locations and dates, subject to a fee of $25 per day.
Food truck vendors will be issued an exclusive license for their allocated location and day(s). Upon request, they must be able to provide Municipal Enforcement with proof of license upon request. Only one food truck will be allocated to a location per scheduled day.
• pdf Cougar Creek Trailhead parking lot (979 KB)
• pdf Elk Run Baseball Diamonds (1.12 MB)
• pdf Elevation Place (1013 KB)
• pdf Toboggan Parking Lot (Benchlands Trail) (1.15 MB)
The fees are due in full by May 15, 2022, or by the date specified on the invoice(s) distributed by the Town of Canmore’s finance department, whichever is sooner.
The Vendor shall receive a refund for any dates scheduled that are canceled by the Town of Canmore. Cancellation by the Town of Canmore may occur where possible with 24-hour notice, although not a guarantee, of the scheduled date.
Cancellation by the municipality could be due to bad air quality higher than 150 Air Quality Index, direction by emergency services, or an area closure due to animal activity. The amount shall be the number of approved canceled days multiplied by $25. Refunds will be issued in August for days canceled in June and July, and in October for days canceled in August and September.
• Outdoor seating areas other than municipal infrastructure.
• Outdoor sound systems or speakers
• Drive-through service
• Signage beyond what is affixed to the vending unit (e.g., a-frames, free-standing flags)
• Sale of alcohol, tobacco, cannabis, or any other non-food or beverage items
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., daily, including statutory holidays
Elk Run Baseball Diamonds
• 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays to Thursdays from May to Jun.
• 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays from July to Sep.
• Specific daytime use on weekends when the diamonds are in use for leagues or tournaments, including to date: Sep. 10 from 8 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. and Sep. 11 from 8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. As additional weekends become available, the dates will be communicated to the approved food truck vendors.
• 10 a.m. and 7 p.m., daily with the exception of Thursdays.
Toboggan Parking Lot (Benchlands Trail)
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., daily, including statutory holidays
1. Support Local: Maximum five (5) points. Priority consideration will be given to food truck businesses from within the Bow Valley (i.e., Canmore, Lake Louise, Banff, MD of Big Horn),
2. Commitment to a Balanced Schedule: Maximum five (5) points. To ensure a balanced and varied offering of food service, applicants who commit to a mixture of weekdays and weekend dates will receive a higher score in this criterion.
3. Menu Variety: Maximum five (5) points. Your menu will be scored based on variety and dietary options (e.g., DF, GF, NF, etc.).
4. Product Sourcing: Maximum five (5) points. The Town strives to promote sustainable and environmentally friendly business practices. For that reason, the support of regional food growers and producers is strongly recommended. Regionally sourced products used in the recipes will score higher points in this criterion.
5. Commitment to Zero Waste: Maximum five (5) points. The Town of Canmore’s commitment to environmentally sustainable practices includes the objective to reduce the amount of waste being sent to the landfill. Vendors must use reusable food service ware to limit the distribution of single-use items (e.g., plastic straws, cutlery, and disposable plates or certified compostable service ware. Additionally, they must participate in food waste diversion (e.g., organics collection and composting), and recycling programs.
6. GHG Emissions: Maximum five (5) points. Vendors will be asked to provide a plan to keep GHG emissions to a minimum. The plan should identify their fuel/power sources, and applications that use alternative fuels (e.g. eco-friendly biodiesel made from vegetable oil, animal fat, and other recycled greases, or that use alternative power sources like solar panels and electric power) will be awarded the most points in this category.
1. Application form
2. Required supporting documents:
• Completed pdf vendor business license application form (1.30 MB)
• Certificate of Insurance with a minimum of $2,000,000 general liability coverage and $2,000,000 automotive insurance per occurrence. Town of Canmore must be listed as additionally insured. If requested, the Town's formal address is Town of Canmore, 902-7 Avenue, Canmore AB T1W 3K1.
• Copy of Town of Canmore Fire Inspection, or for those applying from out of town, a fire inspection will be required for formal approval as a vendor
• Copy of Alberta Health Services Food Handling Permit
• Copy of Mobile Food Vendor Decal and Identification Number from Alberta Health Services
• Photos, dimensions, and specifications of proposed Mobile Food Truck/Cart.
During the application process, please select the dates for which you are available and would like to request for the season. Successful applicants will be assigned locations and dates that will provide a variety throughout the season in all locations.
Participating Food Trucks
• Elk Run Ball Diamonds from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on May 24 and 31; June 7, 21, and 28; July 12, 19, and 26; Aug.9, 23, and 30
• Elevation Place from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Sept. 14, 21, and 28; Oct. 5
As they are approved, participating vendor locations and dates will be posted.