Waste Control Bylaw
The Town of Canmore’s Waste Control Bylaw regulates the collection and disposal of waste within the Town. This page will provide you with a brief overview of the Town’s bylaw, however, if you would like more detail, please refer to the actual Waste Control Bylaw. Original copies of the bylaw are available by contacting the Municipal Clerk.
What is the law?
- Waste from residential and commercial units must be placed into an animal proof waste container.
- Cardboard, construction waste, animal carcasses, furniture, auto parts, tree limbs, etc. are not to be placed in or beside bear bins.
- Recycling containers must not be allowed to remain uncovered or open.
- Waste cannot accumulate on your property.
- Waste cannot be burned or buried in Town.
- Residents placing appliances outside a locked shed/garage are to remove any doors with a latching mechanism or ensure it is securely locked
Sidewalk Snow Removal
The Town of Canmore’s Traffic and Road Use Bylaw (section 17) controls the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks within the Town. Below is a brief overview of the Town’s bylaw, however if you would like more detail, please refer to the actual Traffic and Road Use Bylaw 2014-06. Original copies of the bylaw are available by contacting the Municipal Clerk.
What is the law?
- The owner and/or occupant of the land is responsible for clearing ice and snow from the sidewalks adjacent to the property.
- Snow and ice must be removed from the sidewalk within 48 hours of the last snow fall.
- Removal of snow and ice means the removal of ALL snow and ice, down to the bare concrete.
- Snow removed from sidewalks cannot be deposited onto the street or impede any storm sewer grate or fire hydrant.
- If snow and ice are not removed within 48 hours the Town may clear it at the property owner’s expense.