The Town of Canmore’s Animal Control Bylaw regulates domestic animals in our Town. This page will provide you with a brief overview of the Town’s bylaw, however if you would like more detail, please refer to the actual Animal Control Bylaw 10-2011. Original copies of the bylaw are available by contacting the Municipal Clerk. If you have lost your pet or have found a pet click here for more information.
What is the law?
- All dogs are required to be licensed. Click here for licensing information.
- Dogs are not allowed to run at large in Canmore. This means that dogs must be under the control of their owner at all times.
- Dogs are not to be left unattended (even if they are on a leash) at locations where the public has access (such as a grocery store or coffee shop).
- All dogs must be on-leash at all times, unless posted signs indicate otherwise, or they are in a securely fenced private yard.
- Dogs must still be under the control of their owner in designated off leash areas, meaning they will come to you on command. Click here for Quarry Lake off leash area map.
- A dog owner must ensure their dog does not:
- Attack or threaten any person
- Chase any person on bike, horseback, or while walking or running
- Attack, harass, injure or kill another Domestic Animal or Wildlife
- Bark or Howl Excessively
- Defecate on Private or Public Property without the owner immediately removing it.
- Dogs are not allowed in:
- Areas where prohibited by sign
- Quarry Lake
- Dogs must be secured in the back of pickup trucks, regardless if the vehicle is moving or not. This can be accomplished by:
- Enclosing the bed of the truck with a topper
- Securing a ventilated kennel in the bed of the truck
- Tethering the animal so that it is not standing on bare metal (rubber mats work great) and ensuring the tether is short enough so that the dog can not reach beyond the outside edges of the truck.
- Animal attractants can not be stored outside (this includes feeding feral rabbits).
- Birdfeed cannot be placed or stored outside between April 1st and October 31st.
If you reside in Canmore you must license your pet. Licenses may be purchased at the Town of Canmore Civic Centre Front Desk located at 902 7th Avenue between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday – Friday. You may fill out the application form before dropping by the Town office. Click here to download a Dog or Cat Licence Application (under 'Animal Licencing' heading). Once documentation and payment has been received you will be issued a tag that must be attached to your pet's collar.
All licence tags expire on December 31st and must be renewed before January 1st. One year or three year licenses are available.
|Dog One year Licence||$55.00|
|Dog Three year licence||$114.00|
|Cat Licence (Voluntary)||$25.00|
|Kenneling Fee per day||$20.00|
Lost & Found Pets
If you lost your pet, your lost pet may have been picked up by Bylaw Services. Call 403.678.4244 as soon as you notice your pet is missing. We have staff working 7 days a week between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. We will need your name, contact details, and your pet’s name and description, as well as any other information you think might be helpful. If you call after hours please leave a message and we will return your call first thing in the morning.
If your pet is wearing its license tag, we will attempt to contact you so that we can get it home to you as soon as possible. You may need to pay an impound fee before you can pick up your pet. Pets spending time in our animal shelter are well cared for. They have fresh water, food and shelter, and are checked on regularly. If a pet is not claimed after 72 hours it becomes available for adoption. Adoptions are handled by the Bow Valley SPCA. Call 403.609.2022 for more information.
If you found a pet…you
You may try and find the owner by doing a pet owner search using the tag number or tattoo.
If you are not successful with the pet owner search tool above, you can notify Bylaw Services between 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. on any day at 403.678.4244 and we will arrange a time to pick up the pet. If the pet is wearing a license tag, please give us the number from the tag.
When the Bylaw Services office is closed please leave a message and we will return your call first thing in the morning.