Reported Theft Statistic Highlights (RCMP)
The RCMP conduct proactive patrols to increase visibility with strategic deployment of resources targeting specific individuals and/or “hot spots” as required and can be assisted by the District Crime Reduction Unit and detachments General Investigation Section. In 2020, there were some peak times that saw an increase particularly in Thefts and Break & Enters, some or most of these were attributed to prolific offenders traveling through the area. Investigations into these offences led to several suspects being identified and charges laid.
|Category||2016||2017||2018||2019||2020||% Change 2019-2020|
|Break and Enter||33||24||35||31||34||10% Increase|
|Theft of Motor Vehicle||25||27||34||29||22||24% Decrease|
|Theft Over $5000||11||11||15||16||19||19% Increase|
|Theft Under $5000||203||219||286||265||184||31% Decrease|
Love your stuff? So do thieves!
Even in a small town like Canmore, theft happens. Don't lose your new bike, nice car, or laptop. We have compiled some tips to help reduce the likelihood of theft.
· Never leave children unattended in a running vehicle.
· Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked.
· Use a steering wheel lock to deter thieves.
· Don’t leave your keys in the vehicle, even when filling up with gas.
· Never leave spare keys or garage door openers in or around your vehicle. If a garage door opener goes missing at any time, the garage door should be immediately recoded.
· If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks for the keys that have gone missing, including residences and vehicles.
· Always lock the door leading from a garage into a residence.
· Keep valuables out of sight.
· Close all windows and sunroofs.
· Park in a well-lit and visible area.
· Parking in a locked garage will help safeguard your vehicle.
·You believe a specific crime is happening
Call the RCMP Complaint Line 403.678.5516 24 hours a day to report:
· Break-ins or thefts where the suspect is gone
· Suspicious vehicle, person, or activities
· Click here to learn more about securing your vehicle