Even in Canmore, vehicle theft occurs. Simple steps will reduce the likelihood of your vehicle being stolen or vandalized. The RCMP offers a few tips to help prevent vehicle thefts:
- Never leave a running vehicle unattended.
- Never leave children unattended in a running vehicle.
- Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked.
- Use a steering wheel lock to deter thieves.
- Don’t leave your keys in the vehicle, even when filling up with gas.
- Never leave spare keys or garage door openers in or around your vehicle. If a garage door opener goes missing at any time, the garage door should be immediately recoded.
- If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks for the keys that have gone missing, including residences and vehicles.
- Always lock the man-door leading from a garage into a residence.
- Leaving valuable items in plain sight in a parked vehicle increases the likelihood of your property being more attractive to a potential theft. Cell phones, iPads, wallets, and computers all are attractive to thieves.
- Close all windows and sunroofs.
- Park in a well lit and visible area.
- Parking in a locked garage will help safeguard your vehicle.
Reporting suspicious activity
Call 911 when:
- You believe a specific crime is happening
Call the RCMP Complaint Line 403.678.5516 24 hours a day to report:
- Break-ins or thefts where the suspect is gone
- Suspicious vehicle, person, or activities