Even in Canmore, vehicle theft occurs. Simple steps will reduce the likelihood of your vehicle being stolen or vandalized. The RCMP offer a few tips to help prevent vehicle thefts:
- Never leave a running vehicle unattended. If your keys must be in the ignition to warm it up, citizens should remain with their vehicle.
- Never leave children unattended in a running vehicle.
- Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked.
- Use a steering wheel lock to deter thieves.
- Don’t leave your keys in the vehicle, even when filling up with gas.
- Never leave spare keys or garage door openers in or around your vehicle. If a garage door opener goes missing at any time, the garage door should be immediately recoded.
- If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks for the keys that have gone missing, including residences and vehicles.
- Vehicles equipped with a keyless ignition can still be stolen if left running, even with the key fob removed from the vehicle.
- Always lock the man-door leading from a garage into a residence.
- Leaving valuable items in plain sight in a parked vehicle increases the likelihood of your property being more attractive to a potential theft. Cell phones, iPads, computers and photography equipment all are attractive to thieves.
- Close all windows and sun roofs.
- Park in a well lit and visible area.
- Parking in a locked garage will help safeguard your vehicle.
Who do I report suspicious activity to?
Call 911 when:
- You believe a specific crime is happening
- You believe something is suspicious
Call the RCMP Complaint Line 403.678.5516 24 hours a day to report new or recent crime.
- Break-ins or thefts where the suspect is gone
- Suspicious vehicle, person or activity
Learn more about securing your vehicle at: www.ama.ab.ca/lockit