Even in a small town like Canmore, theft happens. Don't lose your new bike, nice car, or laptop. We have compiled some tips to help reduce the likelihood of theft.
· Never leave children unattended in a running vehicle.
· Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked.
· Use a steering wheel lock to deter thieves.
· Don’t leave your keys in the vehicle, even when filling up with gas.
· Never leave spare keys or garage door openers in or around your vehicle. If a garage door opener goes missing at any time, the garage door should be immediately recoded.
· If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks for the keys that have gone missing, including residences and vehicles.
· Always lock the man-door leading from a garage into a residence.
· Leaving valuable items in plain sight in a parked vehicle increases the likelihood of your property being more attractive to a potential theft. Cell phones, iPads, wallets, and computers all are attractive to thieves.
· Close all windows and sunroofs.
· Park in a well lit and visible area.
· Parking in a locked garage will help safeguard your vehicle.
·You believe a specific crime is happening
Call the RCMP Complaint Line 403.678.5516 24 hours a day to report:
· Break-ins or thefts where the suspect is gone
· Suspicious vehicle, person, or activities
· Click here to learn more about securing your vehicle