Town of Canmore

Reporting Motor Vehicle Collisions

Do you need police at the scene of a motor vehicle collision?
· Call 911 if there has been a serious injury or fatality, or if a driver involved in the accident appears to be in violation of the Criminal Code (for example, intoxicated).
· Call the RCMP at 403.678.5516 (24 hours) if any vehicle involved in the collision cannot be moved to the side of the road, and its position is likely to cause another collision.
· You are not required to call the police if the vehicles are drivable and the above factors are not applicable.

If no one is seriously injured and both vehicles are drivable, you don't need the RCMP at the scene of your motor vehicle collision. You will need to report the collision afterward if there are any minor injuries or combined damage is greater than $2,000.
Do you need to report a collision to police after the fact?
You must report the collision to police in a timely manner if any party is injured, or if combined damage between all vehicles involved is $2,000 or greater, or if the collision is a hit and run. If you aren’t sure whether or not the damage is $2,000 or more, you can get a damage estimate. Alberta law prohibits auto repair shops from repairing a vehicle with damage over $2,000 unless it has a sticker showing the accident was reported to police.
Exchange information with the other driver
Exchange contact information, registration and insurance with the other driver(s). If possible, take pictures that show the damage to both vehicles and the location of the collision.
Report the collision in person at the detachment (101 Elk Run Blvd)
You will need to provide the information you exchanged with the other driver: registration, insurance and contact information for the involved vehicles. You will be required to fill out a Collision Report Form.

You are responsible for reporting the collision to your insurance company. Filing a police report does not mean your insurance company will be notified.
Reporting a hit and run
It is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, and drivers who do so may face charges. If your car has been struck and the driver leaves without making an effort to exchange information with you, report the collision to the police. If possible, record the make, model, and license plate number of the other vehicle. If your car was struck while it was parked and no note was left, report the hit and run to police during office hours.

The Town of Canmore is located within Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta. In the spirit of respect, reciprocity and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Canmore area, known as “Chuwapchipchiyan Kudi Bi” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “shooting at the willows”) and the traditional Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw First Nation, Chiniki First Nation, and Goodstoney First Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3, within the historical Northwest Métis homeland. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play and help us steward this land and honour and celebrate this territory. We commit to working to live in right relations and to advance Truth and Reconciliation.

Website Security Test