Water and Wastewater utility operations for the Town of Canmore are provided by EPCOR Water Services Inc. under the terms of a performance based Utility Services Agreement. This agreement encompasses the full spectrum of utility operations including:
- Water Distribution and Treatment
- Utility Rates
- Wastewater Collection and Treatment
- Biosolids Management
- Storm Water Drainage
- Meter Reading, Billing and Account Management
- Water Conservation
- Water Loss Audit
Water to the town is supplied by two main sources- a groundwater aquifier at pumphouse 1 and the Rundle Forebay at pumphouse 2. Canmore also provides water to our neighbors in the MD of Bighorn.
How you can help conserve water:
In the Bathroom:
1. Check toilets for leaks. A leaky toilet is not always noticeable and is one of the most common water wasters in the home. To detect if you have a leak, place a couple of drops of food colouring in the toilet tank water. Wait a couple of minutes – if you see coloured water seeping into the toilet bowl – you have a leak!
2. Install low flush toilets and low flow shower heads
3. Don’t run the water while brushing teeth or shaving.
4. Take a Shower rather than a bath, showers use much less water especially if you’ve installed a low-flow shower head!
Elsewhere Around the House:
1. Only run the dishwasher and washing machine when you have full loads.
2. If washing dishes by hand, fill a basin for rinsing dishes rather than running water continuously.
3. Keep a jug of water in the fridge so you don’t have to run the tap to get a drink of cold water.
4. Conversely, insulate your hot water pipes so hot water arrives at the tap faster.
5. Considering upgrading your appliances. Make sure to purchase water efficient models. Front load washing machines for example use ½ the water of a conventional top load machine.
Canmore is serviced by a single wastewater treatment plant, the plant includes primary filtration, biological aerated filtration for secondary and tertiary treatment and UV disinfection prior to discharging to the Bow River.
How you can help avoid sewer blockages and backups:
Flush the right stuff: The Epic Poo Race
Keep FOG's out of your drains: www.epcor.com/fogs