A list of planning applications that have been submitted to the Town, and are currently undergoing the review process, or have been approved.Read More
*This timeline is updated daily at 4 P.M. Monday - Friday
Have a Question?
The Planning and Development Department is now totally digital.
Once your application has been assigned to a member of our team for review, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from the assigned file manager.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please review the appropriate development permit checklist found here.
Building permit application information can be found here.
Building Permit Inspections
Building permit inspections will continue to include social distancing practices while the inspection is being conducted. Screening questions will also be asked at inspection scheduling and before going on-site to determine if it is safe to conduct the inspection.
Service Level Updates
- Documents for Land Titles: Land Titles will not accept documents with electronic signatures and a number of Town staff must be present in order to obtain in-person signatures. In an effort to minimize interactions of those involved, documents that require the Town Seal are being signed at the end of each month.
Welcome to the Town of Canmore Planning Department - what are you looking for today?
A Permit is not required for:
- Maintenance work on roofs or upgrading roofs. However, because of the fire risk in Canmore, homes in the Town requires roofs be constructed of non combustible or fire retardant materials with a minimum Class B fire rating.
- Painting, decorating, re-roofing or re-siding IF matters affecting health and safety are not at risk AND there is no structural change to the building
- Construction that does not exceed five thousand dollars ($5000) in total prevailing market value IF matters of health and safety are not at risk AND it is not of a structural nature in the opinion of the Safety Codes Officer
- Construction of an accessory building or structure less than 10m2 (~107 ft2) in area AND located on a temporary foundation AND less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) in total prevailing market value
- The replacement or alteration of ducting serving a space heating appliance IF it is located in a single family residential dwelling AND there is no design change required to the heating and ventilation system.
Visit Building Permits for more information