A list of planning applications that have been submitted to the Town, and are currently undergoing the review process, or have been approved.Read More
All application forms and drawings should be submitted electronically. If an application includes large files, please e-mail us in advance of submitting your application and we will advise you how to submit large files. Upon receipt of application, a member of our team will follow up to arrange for payment.
Building Permit Reviews & Inspections
Permits and Inspections will continue to be conducted unless different direction is provided. Inspections will look different than usual, as social distancing practices will be employed while the inspection is being conducted. Screening questions will also be asked at inspection scheduling and before going on-site to determine if it is safe to conduct the inspection.
PLEASE NOTE, below is a list of process changes we’ve had to implement based on current working conditions:
- Document pick-up: Any documents that would normally be picked up in office will either be e-mailed or postal mailed to the applicant.
- Notice of Application/Decision: These will be sent electronically to the applicant, for them to print and post. It will be the applicants responsibility to maintain the integrity of the notice for the duration it is to be posted.
- Request for Building Plans: we have temporarily suspended requests for building plans until COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
- Documents for Land Titles: we are currently working through how to get documents submitted to Land Titles, as they will not accept electronic signatures. Applicants are advised that there may be some delays with regard to these documents as we sort through getting wet signatures and the Town seal on these documents.
CPC and SDAB meetings
We are awaiting further direction from the Province as to how we can conduct meetings such as for CPC and SDAB, while still adhering to AHS directives around public gatherings. The safety of our staff and the community is our first priority, it may take a bit more effort than normal to convene these decision making bodies.
Welcome to the Town of Canmore Planning Department - what are you looking for today?
A Permit is not required for:
- Maintenance work on roofs or upgrading roofs. However, because of the fire risk in Canmore, homes in the Town requires roofs be constructed of non combustible or fire retardant materials with a minimum Class B fire rating.
- Painting, decorating, re-roofing or re-siding IF matters affecting health and safety are not at risk AND there is no structural change to the building
- Construction that does not exceed five thousand dollars ($5000) in total prevailing market value IF matters of health and safety are not at risk AND it is not of a structural nature in the opinion of the Safety Codes Officer
- Construction of an accessory building or structure less than 10m2 (~107 ft2) in area AND located on a temporary foundation AND less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) in total prevailing market value
- The replacement or alteration of ducting serving a space heating appliance IF it is located in a single family residential dwelling AND there is no design change required to the heating and ventilation system.
Visit Building Permits for more information