Town of Canmore

Planning & Development

We have implemented new planning software and are experiencing a short delay in processing permits.
Currently, we are processing applications that were submitted to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. on July 30, 2020.
*This timeline is updated daily at 4 P.M. Monday - Friday
COVID – 19 Update: Staff within the Planning & Development Department will continue to work remotely until further notice. We are diligently working to maintain review and response times, however, we do ask for a level of patience.

Have a Question?

E-mail your question to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. A member of our team will get back to you within 48 hours. Planning staff will not be available at the Civic Centre for in-person inquiries.

Application Submission

The Planning and Development Department is now totally digital.

All application forms for development or building permits and the associated plans or drawings must be submitted by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. All drawings must be submitted in metric units. Upon receipt of application, a member of our team will follow up to arrange for payment. 

Once your application has been assigned to a member of our team for review, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from the assigned file manager. 

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.  Please review the appropriate development permit checklist found here.

Building permit application information can be found here.

Building Permit Inspections
Building permit inspections will continue to include social distancing practices while the inspection is being conducted. Screening questions will also be asked at inspection scheduling and before going on-site to determine if it is safe to conduct the inspection.

Service Level Updates

  • Request for Building Plans: We have resumed processing requests for building plans.  Currently, these are being completed on Tuesday’s, on a weekly basis. Requests for building plans should be submitted to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. by no later than 4:00 p.m. Monday’s, in order to be included in Tuesday’s processing. We ask for your patience while your request is completed.
  • Documents for Land Titles: Land Titles will not accept documents with electronic signatures and a number of Town staff must be present in order to obtain in-person signatures.  In an effort to minimize interactions of those involved, documents that require the Town Seal are being signed at the end of each month. 

Welcome to the Town of Canmore Planning Department - what are you looking for today?

What is the zoning of my property?
What kind of development is allowed (including permitted vs discretionary) in my zoning?
When do I need a building permit?
A Building Permit is needed for the construction of a building, the renovation or addition to a building, and for any change in the type of occupancy of the building.

A Permit is not required for:

  • Maintenance work on roofs or upgrading roofs.  However, because of the fire risk in Canmore, homes in the Town requires roofs be constructed of non combustible or fire retardant materials with a minimum Class B fire rating. 
  • Painting, decorating, re-roofing or re-siding IF matters affecting health and safety are not at risk AND there is no structural change to the building
  • Construction that does not exceed five thousand dollars ($5000) in total prevailing market value IF matters of health and safety are not at risk AND it is not of a structural nature in the opinion of the Safety Codes Officer
  • Construction of an accessory building or structure less than 10m2 (~107 ft2) in area AND located on a temporary foundation AND less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) in total prevailing market value
  • The replacement or alteration of ducting serving a space heating appliance IF it is located in a single family residential dwelling AND there is no design change required to the heating and ventilation system.

Visit Building Permits for more information

When do I need a development permit? 
A development permit is needed for most new construction, or any time there is a change in the way land is used or the intensity of use.  Obtaining a development permit provides assurance that your development is following the Land Use Bylaw. Visit Development Permits for more information.
What permits do I need to obtain for occupancy or for electrical, gas, and plumbing installations?
I can't find the answers on this website - what do I do next? 
Contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Current Planning Applications

A list of planning applications that have been submitted to the Town, and are currently undergoing the review process, or have been approved.

Read More

Building & Development Permitting

Building & Development Permits, Fee Schedules, Accessory Suite Information, and Pre-Application request form.

Read More

Planning Reference Materials

Area Structure & Redevelopment Plans, Land Use Bylaw, Municipal Development Plan, Planning & Development FAQ.

Read More

Other Services

Other services through the Planning & Development department.

Read More

Fee Schedule

Current Planning & Development fee schedule.

Read More

AB Building Code-10 Minute Emergency Response Time

The Alberta Building Code has changed to require some homes to use different construction materials and designs to improve fire resistance.

Read More

Planning & Development FAQ

Frequently asked questions regarding building & development, permits, public engagement and the land use bylaw.

Read More
Website Security Test