Town of Canmore

Building Permits

Building Permits are required to construct a new building or structure, or to demolish or relocate, repair, alter, or make additions to an existing building. 

REVIEW TIMES. From the time staff begin* reviewing your permit to the time your permit is issued can take up to six weeks.
*Payment of the fee does not constitute start time.

How Can We Assist You?

Do I need a permit for HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) work?
The Town of Canmore doesn't issue HVAC or Mechanical permits, but any Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning work will require the appropriate permits where that work is covered by the Alberta Building Code, Canadian Electrical Code, Alberta Gas Code, or Alberta Plumbing Code. Furnace and heating appliance installations require gas permits, and all wood-burning fireplaces and stoves require a building permit.
Do I need a permit to build a fence?
No permits are required for fences, but they must meet certain height regulations. In both residential and commercial districts, the maximum height of a fence is 1.2m (4') in the front yard, 1.8m (6') in the side and rear yards, and 2.5m (8'2") at the highest point of a gateway. On corner lots, where the height of a fence may affect visibility, the maximum height allowed is 1m (40") within the corner visibility triangle. There is a  pdf full public guide on fences (1.26 MB)  available.
If I don’t need a permit for my shed, can I build it wherever I want?
No. An accessory building can be built in any yard except the front yard of a residential property and must maintain the required setbacks.  If an accessory building is attached to the house it is subject to the same setback regulations as the principal building.
What are the responsibilities of the permit holder?
Once the review of an application is approved the following responsibilities apply. These are excerpts from the Town of Canmore's Building Permit Bylaw.

On the issuance of a Permit, the permit holder must:
(a) comply with the terms and conditions of the Permit; and
(b) undertake the construction, process or activity in accordance with the Act and
applicable codes and standards; and (c) notify the Town:
(i) if the permit holder does not intend to complete the undertaking, or
(ii) if there is a change in ownership from the owner as stated on the Permit
application, (d) ensure that all plans and specifications required to apply for the Permit are available at the construction site at all reasonable times for inspection by a Safety Codes Officer, and
(e) ensure that the Permit is posted, or otherwise identified, at the construction site.

In the absence of a different term set under Section 10, a permit expires if the undertaking to which it applies
(a) is not commenced within 90 days from the date of issue of the permit, or
(b) is suspended or abandoned for a period of 120 days, or
(c) is in respect of a seasonal use residence and the undertaking is suspended or abandoned for a period of 240 days after the undertaking is started. Despite subsection (1), when the term of a Permit has not expired, the Town may, in writing, and on the request of the Permit holder, extend the permit for an additional fixed period of time that the Town considers appropriate.

No person shall deviate or authorize a deviation from a Permit or terms or conditions of a permit without first obtaining the written permission of the Town.

If a holder of a Permit relinquishes the holder’s interest or participation in the undertaking governed by the Permit before the undertaking is completed, the Permit or any label or identification number issued as part of a Permit:
(a) is terminated, and
(b) applies only to the part of the undertaking completed before the termination unless the Town authorizes the Permit or label or identification number to be transferred. A Permit is not transferable to any other person unless the transfer is authorized in writing by the Town.
I have my permit - now what?
Before starting construction:
  • Post the building permit card conspicuously on the site.
  • The signed and stamped drawings that were returned to you with the building permit card are the drawings that should be used for construction.
  • Only the work identified on those drawings is covered under the building permit.
  • Keep track of the inspections required as part of your building permit and to abide by the conditions of your permit.
  • Please ensure that you and your contractors maintain a safe and tidy construction site.

Moving Forward
  • If you do require access to a portion of the road right of way you must first obtain a road right of way usage permit from the Town of Canmore.
  • If you require access over a park or municipal reserve parcel as part of construction you must first obtain permission to cross a public reserve.
  • If you need to work on a Sunday or a statutory holiday, you must first obtain permission to work from the Town of Canmore. Submit this form Request for Permission to Work Sundays and Holidays
  • If you wish to make an amendment to your building permit, please submit the proposed revisions and supporting information electronically through This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Please note that additional fees are due if the amendment is submitted after the building permit has been granted. Until such time as the amendment is approved, no work other than that detailed in your existing permit and drawings are permitted.
When is a building permit closed?

Once the final inspection has been passed and unconditional occupancy granted, the building permit file will be closed by the Town. As part of closing the file, a Permit Services Report (PSR) will be issued to the building permit holder.

PSRs are issued for all files that are closed. Please note that in some cases a PSR will be issued where conditions of a building permit are not complete or the work does not comply. This is done when a building permit expires and there has been no renewal applied for by the applicant. 
Who do I contact if I have concerns about dust from demolition activities?
Dust from demolition activities must be controlled. Dust shall not negatively impact neighboring properties. If there are concerns about dust migrating off site, an appropriate dust suppression system will be required. Please contact Alberta Health Services Calgary main line at 1.855.943.2288 or click the following link Contact Environmental Public Health · Alberta Health Services
Where can I find the Building Permit bylaw?
You can find a copy of the Building Permit bylaw pdf here (3.30 MB) .

Building Permit Process

Step One: Pre-Application meetings are required for all major developments and are optional for small developments. You can look to our Other Services page here for more information.

Step Two: Building Permit application submitted (online only)

Step Three: Applicant contacted by Town of Canmore to make permit fee payment

Step Four: Review of application by Planning and Engineering Departments

Step Five: Review of application by the Safety Codes Officer

Step Six: Building Permit issued

Step Seven: Applicant arranges for inspections 

Step Eight: Permit Services Report issued to building permit holder

Step Nine: Applicant can apply for an Occupancy Certificate. Once the Occupancy Certificate is issued, the file will be closed.

The Town of Canmore will not accept applications that: 

  • are incomplete (i.e. do not include all of the required documents identified in the applicable requirements list;
  • include documents that are unclear or illegible;
  • are not prepared to professional drafting standards; or 
  • stamped with phrases suggesting inappropriate use, such as “not for construction” or “preliminary.” 

Please do not include personal information on plans. 

Upon review of your application, the Town of Canmore may request additional information.

Forms and Requirements
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The following documents and the applicable fee(s) are required for a complete application.

pdf Building Permit Application Form (211 KB)

Use one of the application checklists below to help you prepare a complete application submission.

Residential Improvements
  pdf Uncovered Deck (225 KB)
  pdf Accessory Buildings (314 KB) (Garage, Shed, Carport) 
  pdf Residential Addition (317 KB) (Covered Deck, Sunroom, Second Story, Adding Floor Area)
  pdf Interior Alterations and Basement Development (126 KB)
  pdf Accessory Dwelling Units, Attached (137 KB) (Secondary Suite)
  pdf Accessory Dwelling Units, Detached (178 KB) (Garden Suite)
  pdf Solar Panels (139 KB)
  pdf Wood Burning Fireplace (183 KB)
  pdf Hot Tub and Pools (142 KB)

Residential Buildings
  pdf New Detached or Duplex Dwelling (205 KB)
  pdf New Manufactured Dwelling (161 KB)
  pdf New Multi-Unit Residential (154 KB)

Commercial, Institutional, and Industrial Buildings
  pdf New Commercial, Institutional, and Industrial Buildings (148 KB)
  pdf Tenant Improvements to Commercial, Institutional, and Industrial Buildings (132 KB)
pdf Tent and Events Requirements List (143 KB)


pdf Demolition Building Permit Requirements (156 KB) pdf
(156 KB)

pdf Demo Permit Mobile Home Move Permit Requirements Checklist 2023 (189 KB)

Partial Foundation
pdf Partial Foundation Permit Checklist 2023 (578 KB)

Fee Schedule

To access the fee schedule click here.

Apply Now

To submit your building permit, please email your building permit application and the required information outlined in the applicable application requirements list to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  

Note: The Town of Canmore requires that applications be submitted digitally. For application submissions that exceed 20MB, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. in advance of submitting your application. You will be provided with a file share link to upload your application submission. Please do not submit files using Dropbox.

Building Inspections and Occupancy

Visit Building Inspections & Occupancy for more information.

Permit Expiry

Development with a Total Construction Value (TCV) of less than $50,000 will have up to one year to complete construction. Development with a TCV of $50,000 or greater will have up to two years to complete construction. 

The Safety Codes Officer may set an expiry date longer than two years to complete a development, if in their opinion the development requires a longer construction period due to the projects size, complexity, or falls tragedy to fire or natural disaster. 

Should you not be able to complete your project by the original expiry date issued with your Building Permit, a one-time 12-month extension can be requested (subject to applicable fees). Should the development not be completed within the 12-month extension period, the applicant will have to re-apply for a new Building Permit and pay the applicable permit fees.

The building permit MUST be posted on site until all work is complete. 

Alberta Building Code 10-Minute Response Time 

The Alberta Building Code has changed to require some homes to use different construction materials and designs to improve fire resistance. For more information, visit Alberta Building Code Requirements – 10 Minute Emergency Response Time


If you have further questions, please submit them to the Planning & Development Department using the following form.

The Town of Canmore is located within Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta. In the spirit of respect, reciprocity and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Canmore area, known as “Chuwapchipchiyan Kudi Bi” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “shooting at the willows”) and the traditional Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw First Nation, Chiniki First Nation, and Goodstoney First Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3, within the historical Northwest Métis homeland. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play and help us steward this land and honour and celebrate this territory. We commit to working to live in right relations and to advance Truth and Reconciliation.

Website Security Test