A development permit is needed for most new construction, or any time there is a change in the way land is used or the intensity of use. Obtaining a development permit provides assurance that your development is following the Land Use Bylaw. Construction must commence on the development within one year of the date of approval.
Development Permit Process
- Pre-Application Meeting (Optional for small developments)
- You can book a pre-application consultation by visiting the Pre-Application Consultation Request page and filling out the form. Pre-application meetings are required for all Intermediate – Large developments.
- Development Permit submitted (online)
- Applicant contacted to make permit fee payment
- Initial review of permit by Development Officer
- Notice of Permit Application Posted (10 days)
- You will be required to post a notice of permit application in a visible spot to inform neighbours and any affected parties of your application.
- Final review by Development Officer
- Notice of Decision posted (21 day appeal period)
- Once a decision has been made, you will be required to post a notice of decision in a visible spot to inform neighbours and any affected parties that the proposed development has been approved. If no appeals to the Subdivision & Development Appeal Board clerk are received during this time, the DP can be issued.
- Permit issued
- Construction must commence on the development within one year of the date of approval
Forms and Requirements
Do You Need More Information?
Frequently Asked Questions
Work that requires a variance to the Land Use Bylaw
Changes of the use of a space to a discretionary use
If the intended use is discretionary in the Land Use Bylaw
Exterior renovations on commercial or multi-family buildings
If you need to change of use, please complete the Change of Use development permit. Confirmation of Land Use (Zoning) is a formal letter indicating the land use district in which a property resides as well as the current approved use for the site. Confirmation of Zoning is frequently required by financial institutions in order to finance a mortgage. To apply for a confirmation of land use, please complete the Confirmation of Land Use (Zoning) Request Form and submit it to the Town of Canmore.