A development permit is needed for most new construction, or any time there is a change in the way land is used or the intensity of use. Obtaining a development permit provides assurance that your development is following the Land Use Bylaw. Construction must commence on the development within one year of the date of approval.
How Can We Assist You?
Work that requires a variance to the Land Use Bylaw
Changes of the use of a space to a discretionary use
If the intended use is discretionary in the Land Use Bylaw
Exterior renovations on commercial or multi-family buildings
Development Permit Process
- Pre-Application Meeting (Optional for small developments)
- Pre-application meetings are required for all Intermediate – Large developments.
- Development Permit submitted (online)
- Applicant contacted to make permit fee payment
- Initial review of permit by Development Officer
- Notice of Permit Application Posted (10 days)
- You will be required to post a notice of permit application in a visible spot to inform neighbours and any affected parties of your application.
- Final review by Development Officer
- Notice of Decision posted (21 day appeal period)
- Once a decision has been made, you will be required to post a notice of decision in a visible spot to inform neighbours and any affected parties that the proposed development has been approved. If no appeals to the Subdivision & Development Appeal Board clerk are received during this time, the DP can be issued.
- Permit issued
- Construction must commence on the development within one year of the date of approval
Forms and Requirements
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The following documents and the applicable fee(s) are required for a complete application.
If you have further questions, please submit them to the Planning & Development Department using the following form.