Home occupations are small-scale businesses that operate out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Two types of home occupations are allowed in Canmore.
Class 1 Home Occupation – is a small-scale business that is accessory to a Dwelling Unit, has no impact on the surrounding neighbourhood and would be undetectable from the street.
Class 2 Home Occupation – is a small-scale business that is accessory to a Dwelling Unit, which may have some impact on the surrounding neighbourhood by way of noise, dust, customer visitation, deliveries, etc. Conditions can be put on Class 2 Home Occupations in order to minimize such impacts.
To determine you home business classification please answer the following questions:
1. Do you have clients or customers coming to your home?
2. Do you have deliveries to your home?
3. Do you have employees coming to your home?
4. Do you manufacture or produce goods in your home? For example, manufacturing furniture or producing food items.
5. Do you store materials and equipment or park trailers/commercial vehicles on site?
If you answered YES to any of these questions, please review the pdf Home Occupation application checklist and complete the Home Occupation Questionnaire (1.33 MB) and a pdf Development Permit application (134 KB) .
If you answered NO to all of the questions, you will still need to obtain a Town of Canmore Home Occupation Business License. For information on how to obtain a business license, please click here.