Town of Canmore

Other Services

Bed & Breakfast Development Permit

Bed and Breakfast establishments are an ancillary commercial use operated by the resident of a single detached dwelling, providing accommodation for periods of 14 days or less with one meal provided on a daily basis to guests. The maximum amount of accommodation permitted per dwelling is two guestrooms or six pillows (guests), whichever is less. For more details, please see Section 4.14 of the Land Use Bylaw.

All Bed & Breakfasts establishment require a development permit. Please fill out the pdf form (182 KB) , and submit it along with: a surveyed site plan indicating parking and landscaping details; a letter and floor plans identifying how many and which rooms will be rented out, room and window sizes, window location, smoke detector and fire extinguisher locations; certificate of title; and the appropriate fees. As part of the application process a site inspection is conducted, at which point a form from the Health Authority will be provided.  The application form includes the relevant requirements of the Alberta Building Code and Fire Code, and the Town Land Use Bylaw. You will also require a business license, available from the finance department.

Building Plans Viewing Request

If you would like to view or get a copy/scan of the building plans for your property (or any other information on file for your property), please fill out and submit a pdf Building Plans Viewing Request form (126 KB) .

Change of Use and Confirmation of Land Use

If you are opening a business you may need either a Confirmation of Land Use (Zoning) or a Change of Use.

If you need to change of use, please complete the pdf Change of Use (357 KB)  development permit.

Confirmation of Land Use (Zoning) is a formal letter indicating the land use district in which a property resides as well as the current approved use for the site. Confirmation of Zoning is frequently required by financial institutions in order to finance a mortgage.

To apply for a confirmation of land use, please complete the pdf Confirmation of Land Use (Zoning) Request Form (106 KB)  and submit it to the Town of Canmore.

Environmental Searches

Environmental searches may be requested of the Town of Canmore, these searches will be conducted on a case by case basis. Please contact the Planning and Development department for more information regarding environmental searches and the associated fees. An approximate quote can be provided before the search is commenced.

Home Occupation Permit

Home occupations are small-scale businesses that operate out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Two types of home occupations are allowed in Canmore.

A Class 1 Home Occupation (also known as Desk & Telephone) has no impact on the surrounding neighbourhood.

A Class 2 Home Occupation has minimal impact on the surrounding neighbours. This type of business is only allowed if it can be guaranteed there will be no adverse impact on the neighbours.

To determine you home business classification please answer the following questions:

1. Do you have clients or customers coming to your home?
2. Do you have deliveries to your home?
3. Do you have employees coming to your home?
4. Do you manufacture or produce goods in your home? For example, manufacturing furniture or producing food items.
5. Do you store materials and equipment or park trailers/commercial vehicles on site?

If you answered YES to one or all of these questions, please complete a pdf Home Occupation Development Permit (189 KB) . If you answered NO to all the questions, you will still need to apply for a Business License.

In Street Patios

The Town of Canmore issues permits for in street patios on public lands or road right of ways (eg.Main Street patios). This program is available between May and October. 

To view the In Street Patio Application Guide pdf click here (212 KB) .

To view the In Street Patio Application Form pdf click here (393 KB) .

Land Use Bylaw Amendment

Land Use Bylaw Amendments are required to modify any of the regulations set out in the Land Use Bylaw. Frequently Land Use Bylaw Amendments are requested to change the current zoning of a parcel. Should you wish to request a Land Use Bylaw Amendment, please complete the   pdf Land Use Bylaw Amendment application (138 KB)  and submit is with the appropriate application fee and required documents. The fees for a Land Use Bylaw amendment can be found in the fee schedule.

As part of the application process for a land Use Bylaw Amendment, an applicant is required to have a Sustainability Screening Report that has been accepted by Council. It is strongly recommended that prior to making a Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application that a Pre-Application Consultation be scheduled with the Planning & Development Department.


The design, size and location of signs can create a powerful image of Canmore for both residents and visitors. The intent of the signage standards and regulations is to balance the visibility of signage with an attractive appearance of the community, in keeping with its spectacular mountain setting. The Town regulates signage in order to establish a level playing field for all businesses by being consisent with approvals.

All new, replacement and temporary signs require a Development Permit unless explicitly exempt under pdf Section 10 of the Land Use Bylaw (894 KB) . New signs include revised signs for existing businesses with different colours, information, or graphics. If replacing an old previously approved sign with the same sign, a pdf Certificate of Signage Conformance (23 KB)  is all that is required. All approved signs are issued a Sign Validation sticker. 

Standards and regulations changed for some signs with the introduction in January 2012 of Land Use Bylaw 22-2010. Signs that are not permitted in Canmore include:

* permanent signs with a white background
* A-frame and other mobile signs
* banner or corporate flags used as permanent signs
* electronic signs
* internally lit signs

For a more complete list of prohibited signs, please see  pdf Section 10 of the Land Use Bylaw (894 KB) .

Sign Permit Requirements

* Completed  pdf application form (357 KB)
* 2 copies of a coloured rendering of the proposed sign, drawn to scale including dimensions
* Letter heights
* 2 site plans showing sign location
* Elevation for hanging signs
* Pantone colours for the sign, or a colour sample.

Signage Permit Fees

Fees are based on whether an application conforms to the  pdf Land Use Bylaw (894 KB)  or not. There is a single fee for each application, no matter the number of signs. The signage fees are:

* $101.50 conforming sign application (no variances)
* $208.08 non-conforming sign application (one or more variances)

Stamp of Compliance

A Stamp of Compliance is confirmation that the Real Property Report you submit is compliant with the land use regulations of your district, and that all construction on site was completed under a valid permit. A Stamp of Compliance is frequently requested by lending institutions or purchasers prior to the transfer of property.

If you are not compliant, we will not issue the stamp and we can require you to make your property compliant - either through application for the appropriate Development/Building Permits, or demolition of non-compliant parts.

To request a Stamp of Compliance please complete the pdf request form (21 KB) , and submit it along with at least two copies of your Real Property Report (at least one of which must be an original), and the relevant fee. The Town will keep one original copy of you Real Property Report, but will stamp and return all other copies you provide.

Note that the Real Property Report you provide must be no more than 2 years old, or can be 2 to 5 years old if accompanied by a statutory declaration affirming that nothing has changed.

Subdivision & Condominium Endorsement

There are three major types of Subdivision: Fee Simple, Bareland Condominium and Building Condominium. Fee simple subdivisions which create more than three parcels must be approved by Council. Subdivisions which create less than three units, or are under 0.8 hectares, may be approved by Town Administration.

To apply for subdivision, please fill out the pdf application form (49 KB) , and submit it to the Town of Canmore along with the the following:

  • application fee
  • tentative plan of survey (2 copies)
  • certificate of title or permission to make application on behalf of owner
  • context map (2 copies)
  • development grading plan (3 copies - not always required)
  • analysis of applicable town documents/policy relative to this application i.e. MDP, ASP, ARP, Slope Policy, EDCG, and Land Use Bylaw (not required for all applications)
  • one digital copy of the entire application (tentative plan and development grading plan must be high resolution
  • other supporting information as determined by the Town of Canmore

 Please see  pdf Section 14 of Land Use Bylaw 22-2010 (Subdivision of Land) (121 KB)  and  pdf Guidelines for Subdivision and Development in Mountainous Terrain (128 KB)  for more information.

Powered by CityFind Site Search