What is Happening?
An application has been submitted on a privately owned parcel of vacant land in South Canmore located at 800 3rd Avenue.
The application proposes up to six single-family homes and a new hospice facility on the site. The map below is broken into subdistricts, with details on each below.
- (0.91 ha / 2.0 ac)
- Will be gifted to the Palliative Care Society of the Bow Valley to construct a 15,000 SF hospice for end-of-life care.
- (0.62ha / 1.5 ac)
- Will be divided into a maximum of three lots for residential development.
- (1.14 ha / 3.0 ac)
- Will be divided into a maximum of two lots for residential development.
- (5.51 ha / 13.5 ac)
- Will be held by the landowners for their own home. The majority of this subdistrict will be open, natural space.
The application triggers the need for two amendments to the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) and one amendment to the Land Use Bylaw (LUB). The amendments needed to the Municipal Development Plan include:
- An expansion of the Urban Growth Boundary to encompass the entire site,
- A change in the Conceptual Land Use map for the site from “Conservation” to “Neighbourhood Residential”.
The amendment to Land Use Bylaw is requesting a new Direct Control District be added for the site to establish the regulations for the proposed development.
The applicant has more information on their website www.800canmore.com
Application Supporting Documents
Next Steps - Updated May 3, 2022
The application triggers the need for both updates to the Municipal Development Plan and the Land Use Bylaw. The two amendments are separate Bylaws, but are being processed concurrently. Next steps include:
- The proposed amendments will be presented to Council for consideration by means of First Reading on May 3, 2022.
- If Council chooses to give First Reading to the Bylaws, it signals that they would like to formally hear from the public on the application and a Public Hearing would be scheduled.
- At the Public Hearing, members of the public would have an opportunity to provide their feedback directly to Council on the proposed Bylaws.
- Council would then consider Second and Third Reading of the Bylaws.
- If Council defeats the Bylaws at any point in this process, then the existing rules remain in place.
Please fill out the Contact Planning Form and a member of the Planning & Development team will respond to you.