What is Happening?
Council approved the Canadian Rockies Public Schools' (CRPS) application for an Area Redevelopment Plan to allow for up to 120 residential units on the southern portion of their privately owned land at the Lawrence Grassi Middle School site (“Parcel 2” on the map below).
CRPS has proposed infill development on the vacant portion of the Lawrence Grassi Middle School site. As required by the Town’s Municipal Development Plan, where significant redevelopment in an existing neighbourhood is proposed, an Area Redevelopment Plan is required, and is the subject of Bylaw 2021-07.
The application proposes:
- Five buildings (noted in blue in the map below) 2 ½ storeys, similar to adjacent townhouse developments;
- Three buildings (noted in yellow in the map below) up to 3 ½ storeys in height;
- Up to 120 units of new residential development, including:
- 20 units of employee housing for CRPS staff,
- 10-20 units of “Vital Homes”, managed by Canmore Community Housing,
- New multi-use pathways through the site;
- The existing Lawrence Grassi Middle School (Parcel 1), Roundhouse Day Care and Cadet building (Parcel 3) will remain;
- Parking will be provided on site.
The rationale for the Area Redevelopment Plan is to provide a variety of housing, including Vital Housing and Employee Housing, in an area that is close to community amenities, not close to wildlife areas, and will support long-term financial sustainability of the public-school division.
Next Steps - Updated March 30, 2022
Council approved Bylaw 2021-07 Canadian Rockies Public Schools (CRPS) Lawrence Grassi Middle School Area Redevelopment Plan after a public hearing on March 1, 2022. The approved Area Redevelopment Plan is posted on this page: Area Structure & Redevelopment Plans.
- a Land Use Bylaw amendment will be required as the next step in the process.