What is Happening?
Number three and five Railway Court (Lots 15-17, Block 66, Plan 1095F) are located adjacent to Policeman’s Creek, and 12 St/3 Ave, at the termination of Railway Court.
Offer to Purchase
The landowners approached Council with an offer to purchase a 758 m2 portion of 12 St and 3 Ave. This offer required the closure of a portion of the roadway through a road closure bylaw, and subsequent subdivision/consolidation of the lots to create three new larger lots. If any of the outstanding conditions (registration of the subdivision) of the offer are not met, the offer is invalid.
Road Closure Bylaw
The landowner submitted an application for the road closure. The road closure process required approval of a Bylaw by Council and the Minister of Transportation. The road closure Bylaw was approved on November 3, 2020.
The landowner submitted an application for subdivision, which was approved on November 4, 2020. The application was approved subject to a number of conditions, including:
- Prior to commencement of construction the developer shall submit detailed engineering drawings prepared by a qualified professional in accordance with the Integrated Transportation Plan, Open Space and Trails Plan and Engineering Design and Construction Guidelines and to the satisfaction of the Town of Canmore, including roads, water, sanitary, storm water, pathways, lighting and shallow utilities.
- Prior to commencement of construction a landscaping plan shall be prepared by a qualified professional to the satisfaction of the Town of Canmore and in accordance with the Engineering Design and Construction Guidelines. The landscaping plan shall show all proposed public utility lots, utility rights-of-way, and walkways. The landscaping plan shall indicate any Town trees required to be removed as a result of construction.
- Construct new pathway, utilities and roads in accordance with approved detailed drawings.
There is an existing house, shop and shed located on the current properties. These lots were created with the original subdivision of the downtown, prior to the 1900’s. They have been and continue to be privately owned. The three lots are currently located in the R1 District. A detached dwelling can be built on each lot, subject to the rules of the Land Use Bylaw. The changes approved above do not allow a greater density to be built on the lots.
Next Steps - Updated May 3, 2022
- Work on the site has begun.
- Pathway detours may be in place, watch out for detour signage on site.