File Search Request
Please note that Building Plans Requests are being temporarily suspended until the end of January, while our archival information undergoes the process of being digitized.
Environmental Search Request
Environmental searches can be requested of the Town of Canmore. For more information regarding such requests and the associated fees, please contact the Planning and Development Department using our online inquiry form. An approximate quote can be provided before the search is commenced.
Stamp of Compliance
A Stamp of Compliance is confirmation that a Real Property Report submitted for a specific property is compliant with the land use regulations of the applicable land use district and that all construction on site was completed under a valid permit. A Stamp of Compliance is frequently requested by lending institutions or purchasers prior to the transfer of property.
If you are not compliant, we will not issue the stamp and we can require you to make your property compliant - either through application for the appropriate Development/Building Permit(s) or demolition of non-compliant development.
Certificate of Conformance
A Certificate of Conformance is required for all commercial and industrial businesses that would like to change the use of an existing commercial or industrial space to a permitted use within the applicable land use district.
A Certificate of Conformance can only be issued when there are no variances to the Land Use Bylaw required to accommodate the change of use.
If the proposed change of use requires a variance to the Land Use Bylaw (LUB), a Change of Use Development Permit is required instead of Certificate of Conformance.
Confirmation of Zoning
A Confirmation of Zoning is a formal letter indicating the land use district a property is located in and the associated land use regulations. Upon request, the letter can include confirmation of the current approved use(s) for the site in question.
Confirmation of Zoning is frequently required by financial institutions in order to finance a mortgage.
You can always find out what the Zoning of a property is by using the Town’s Online Property Viewer.
- Visit the Online Property Viewer page
- On the “Layer List” found on the right of your screen, click “Land Use Districts”
- Type the address of the property in the search bar at the top
- The red letters within the thick black boundary surrounding the property, is the Land Use District*
* You may have to Zoom Out by clicking the minus sign beside the search bar to see the applicable Land Use District
Subdivision & Condominium Endorsement
There are three major types of Subdivision: Fee Simple, Bareland Condominium and Building Condominium. Fee simple subdivisions which create more than three parcels must be approved by Council. Subdivisions which create less than three units, or are under 0.8 hectares, may be approved by Town Administration.
- application fee
- tentative plan of survey (2 copies)
- certificate of title or permission to make application on behalf of owner
- context map (2 copies)
- development grading plan (3 copies - not always required)
- analysis of applicable town documents/policy relative to this application i.e. MDP, ASP, ARP, Slope Policy, EDCG, and Land Use Bylaw (not required for all applications)
- one digital copy of the entire application (tentative plan and development grading plan must be high resolution
- other supporting information as determined by the Town of Canmore
Please see the section titled Subdivision of Land in the Land Use Bylaw as well at the pdf Guidelines for Subdivision and Development in Mountainous Terrain (128 KB) for more information.
Land Use Bylaw Amendment
Land Use Bylaw Amendments are required to modify any of the regulations set out in the Land Use Bylaw. Frequently Land Use Bylaw Amendments are requested to change the current zoning of a parcel. Should you wish to request a Land Use Bylaw Amendment, please complete the pdf Land Use Bylaw Amendment application (138 KB) and submit is with the appropriate application fee and required documents. The fees for a Land Use Bylaw amendment can be found below.
As part of the application process for a land Use Bylaw Amendment, an applicant is required to have a Sustainability Screening Report that has been accepted by Council. It is strongly recommended that prior to making a Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application that a Pre-Application Consultation be scheduled with the Planning & Development Department.