What is Silvertip Proposing?
Silvertip would like to amend the existing ASP to include a casino and a gondola, which are not currently included in the existing ASP. They will also need separate approvals from the Province of Alberta and the MD of Bighorn in addition to the Town of Canmore for these elements to be approved.
Although Silvertip has informed the Town of their proposal, the Town has not received an ASP amendment application at this time. When the Town does receive an official application, the process will be as follows:
1. The Town will review the application to ensure that it is complete, along with all applicable studies including an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
2. Once the application is complete, first reading will be scheduled, which is Council’s first opportunity to see the application. The documents will be made available to the public prior to first reading. Passing first reading by Council does not imply support for the application, but moves the application into the public realm for input.
3. Following first reading a public hearing will be scheduled, you can give your input at this time in the following ways:
- Submit a written submission.
- Speak at the public hearing.
- The public hearing date and time, and details on how to provide your input will be advertised in the Rocky Mountain Outlook and on this page prior to the public hearing date.
4. After the public hearing, Council will consider second and perhaps third reading of the bylaw. There is no public input at this stage.
The provincial government also has a webpage.
Silvertip has an approved Area Structure Plan (ASP) in place, to see a copy of the Area Structure Plan pdf click here (3.15 MB) . The approved ASP includes a resort village with hotel units, commercial uses including a conference facility, and residential and employee housing units.
Give Silvertip your feedback
Silvertip is asking the public to provide input on their proposal through their site - you can provide your feedback online by clicking here.