The Town of Canmore is offering a pick-up service for food waste from restaurants and other businesses.
New! Rotary Food Waste Collection Subsidy
The Rotary Club of Canmore has generously donated $3250 to subsidize the start-up cost for businesses wishing to participate in the program. The Town of Canmore would like to than the Rotary Club of Canmore for this donation, and their support of the hospitality sector during this challenging time for the industry.
How the subsidy works:
- The program will subsidize one food waste pick up per business, per week for a maximum of ten weeks.
- A maximum of 32 businesses will be able to participate, on a first-come, first-served basis.
How it Works
We will provide participating businesses with 240 L roll carts (see photo below). We also have a 120 L roll cart option for those businesses with limited space or an animal proof option that can be stored outside. You decide the number of carts you need and how frequently you would like them picked up. If you need an extra pick-up, you can contact us to arrange with 24 hours notice. Your scheduled pick-ups can be changed to account for seasonal variability.
Getting Food Waste Collection Started at your Business
- We will answer any questions you have and then arrange a site visit to determine where the roll cart(s) will be collected from. Please note that food waste roll carts will need to be stored indoors or in an animal-proof enclosure. If this is not possible, we have an animal-proof cart option that can be stored outdoors.
- Consider how and where you will collect your food waste. Will you keep your roll cart in your kitchen or store it in another area and use smaller bins to collect and transfer your food waste?
- Confirm your initial collection schedule with us and the number of roll carts you require.
- We will deliver the roll carts and educational materials for staff and customers.
- Collection will start on your chosen date. Remember, you can contact us if you need to change your schedule or request an extra pick-up.
The collection service will cost $10 per cart pick up at the expiry of the Rotary Club of Canmore subsidy program outlined above. The roll carts are included in the price, but you are responsible for any smaller bins you need to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
120 L cart: Depth – 53.5 cm, Width – 48.6 cm, Height – 95.5 cm.
240 L animal proof cart: Depth - 72.9 cm, Width - 71.2 cm, Height - 108.2 cm.
Food Rescue and Food Waste Reduction
There are local opportunities for food rescue and recovery that compliment the Food Waste Collection program, potentially reducing the amount of food waste you are paying to have collected for composting.
GOAT Generation Food Rescue App
Food Recovery Barn
Surplus food that you can’t use or sell can be brought to the Canmore Food Recovery Barn. Their mission is to recover edible food destined for the landfill from supermarkets and restaurants. They sort, display, and redistribute the recovered food, offering pickup for residents every Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30-6:15 pm at the Valley Lutheran Church in Canmore for a $5 suggested donation. If you have surplus food that could go to people instead of being composted or landfilled, get in touch through Facebook @CanmoreFoodRecoveryBarn.