Benchlands Trail will be re-paved to prolong the life of the road and provide a better travelling surface. Rehabilitation projects present an opportunity to make functional improvements in a cost effective manner and in ways that align with the goals of the pdf Integrated Transportation Plan (15.09 MB) . As part of this project we have a small budget to make functional improvements along with the rehabilitation works.
Council has approved a temporary pilot project to trial the improvements before committing to permanent installations. These trial measures have been identified to address concerns raised by the community through a public consultation process held in 2017 and 2018. Recognizing that the behaviour of users is influenced by the form and shape of the road, the pilot has been designed to create an intuitive street design that encourages drivers to travel at or below the speed limit, and creates a more comfortable environment for pedestrians.
Pilot Project Goals
- To slow vehicle speeds on Benchlands Trail
- Improve safety for people walking and riding bicycles
- To provide for easier left turning movements onto Benchlands Trail due to slower and more consistent vehicle speeds
- To assess the impact of the pilot project measures
We will be looking for feedback during the pilot project. The following opportunities to provide feedback will be available:
- Online mapping tool - available below until July 3
- Targeted Social Media Questions - targeted questions posted on Town of Canmore Facebook page - July & August
Frequently Asked Questions
Confident cyclists travelling downhill on Benchlands Trail should take the lane and travel at the speed of traffic, otherwise they are encouraged to use the multi-use pathway.
1. To create a safer pedestrian environment by reducing crossing distance and reducing the number of vehicle conflict points
2. Sight lines for right turning vehicles are obstructed by vehicles waiting to turn left, making it difficult to see oncoming traffic
3. The volume of vehicles turning left was measured prior to the installation of the pilot, and greatly outnumbers those turning right.
Pilot Project Design
Upper Cougar Creek Intersection - pdf Pilot East Cougar Creek (362 KB)
Lower Cougar Creek Intersection - pdf Pilot West Cougar Creek (395 KB)
Benchlands Terrace Intersection - pdf Pilot Benchlands Terrace (304 KB)
Assessing the Pilot Project
The following criteria will be used to assess the pilot project and be used to provide a recommendation to council in the fall on next steps:
- Data gathered prior to implementation of the pilot on vehicle speeds on Benchlands Trail and vehicle queue lengths and dealy times at both Cougar Creek Drive intersections
- Data collected while the pilot is in place to measure it's impacts on vehicular traffic
- Feedback received from the public during the pilot
If you have any questions or want to provide feedback on the pilot project contact: