Railway Avenue is a key transportation corridor. It is due for major underground utility work and at the same time we will be making sure its design is consistent with the goals set out in the Integrated Transportation Plan. This project has been split into three main sections - Railway Ave South (complete), Railway Ave Central and Railway Ave North.
Goals for the project include:
- Enable a greater range of transportation options and opportunities for residents and visitors.
- Apply a functional and recognizable street design that accommodates all modes: walking, cycling, transit, goods movement, private passenger vehicles.
- Apply best practice guidelines for street design that will enable 40% non-vehicular travel at peak times (summer, long weekends).
- Facilitate movement of people into the Town Centre and encourage through-traffic and transportation of goods around the Town Centre.
Phase two of engagement will look to understand how the concept design for Railway Avenue Central will impact travel experiences. This phase of engagement will take place from January 23 - February 10, 2023. This phase of engagement will include:
Online engagement - To visit the engagement page and take the survey click here. Open until noon on February 10, 2023.
Open House - January 25, 2023, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. at the Canmore Recreation Centre
First Phase - Discovery - completed in 2018
The initial phase of engagement on Railway Ave occurred in 2018. During this phase key stakeholders and residents were asked to identify their experiences while they are travelling along the corridor so that they can be considered and addressed in the initial concept design. This phase of engagement occurred during the spring and summer of 2018 and consisted of an online mapping tool, open house and stakeholder meetings.
To read the Railway Ave concept design brief from the July 2, 2019 council meeting pdf click here (41.68 MB) .
Railway Ave Central
Railway Avenue Central is focused around the Main and 10th Street intersections and connects through new pedestrian and cycle facilities to the north and south sections of Railway. Intersections are proposed to be protected, similar to the new intersection at the Shops of Canmore corner on Bow Valley Trail/Railway Avenue.
Download the design documents to view in higher resolution:
- pdf Railway Ave Concept design EP to Main (1.91 MB)
- pdf Railway Ave Concept design Main and 10 (2.29 MB)
- pdf Cross sections railway ave (664 KB)
Elevation Place to Main Street