The Bow Valley Clean Air Society attended a June 2022 Council meeting as a delegation, to discuss the issue of businesses keeping their doors open to attract customers when temperatures drop below 15 degrees Celsius. Council asked Administration to look into the matter and report back on findings.
Administration is planning to:
- Develop an information campaign,
- Work with partners to get the message out,
- Perform regular counts of open doors throughout the winter season, in order to inform a future recommendation.
Do Your Part - Close the Door
- Keeping shop doors closed saves energy, money and greenhouse gas emissions. If doors are closed, your furnace and air conditioners don’t run as often,
- Keeping shop doors closed provides a more comfortable draft free environment for your staff and customers,
- Keeping shop doors closed during smoky wildfire events can improve air quality for staff and customers,
- It is estimated that an open door wastes about 50% of the energy to heat a shop, for more information click here.