Canmore’s Bike Friendly Business Program was born in 2014 through collaboration with the Canmore Downtown BRZ, businesses, and community stakeholders.
Bikes are part of our culture in Canmore and our Bicycle Friendly Business Program showcases the initiatives of our business community to residents and visitors. Bike Friendly Canmore serves as a recognition and training program aimed to:
- Showcase bicycle friendly businesses and their efforts to enhance the biking experience in Canmore for residents and visitors
- Provide guidance to businesses on “How to be Bike Friendly” and information on bike friendly resources and amenities in Canmore
- Increase awareness about the positive social, cultural, economic, and environmental benefits of Canmore’s bike community and rapidly growing bike tourism industry
- Bring together Canmore’s bike friendly business community to collaborate on bike-centric business ideas and success stories
To be recognized as Bicycle Friendly, businesses need to submit a Bike Friendly Business Application that generally exudes enthusiasm about encouraging cycling in Canmore. These applications are reviewed and scored by our team for approval, so be sure to include the passion and new ideas in your application. Some things that are considered include:
- What amazing incentives will be offered to people that bike to your business?
- Are bike racks provided at your business?
- Are you and your staff in-the-know with all things biking in Canmore Kananaskis and excited to share this passion with customers?
- Are incentives offered for staff biking to work?
Why be Bike Friendly?
Primarily because biking is awesome! But here are lots of other great reasons to be a Bike Friendly Business too:
- Bicyclists shop more often and overall spend more than motorists
- Bicyclists are more likely than drivers to notice and visit businesses because they travel at a more human-scale speed
- A small reduction in driving brings a big drop in traffic. Converting car driving staff and customers into bicyclists opens up the roads for those who need to drive
- Offering up incentives for staff and customers to bike instead of drive opens up parking for those who need it most, such as customers traveling from far away and people unable to ride a bike
- Increased bicycling brings vibrancy to the neighborhood by helping make the street a place to be, or destination as it were, not just a place to move through from A to B
- Bicycling is increasing among all age groups, and driving is down among 16-34-year-olds
- With over 100,000 counts annually on the Legacy Trail, about 50,000 counts annually on the Nordic Centre’s “FYI” trail and about 320,000 counts annually from people using the pedestrian/cyclist CPR crossing into the Town Centre there’s no doubt that bikes = people and people = business
- Bike Friendly Businesses are eligible for the Bike Infrastructure Incentive!
We want to help you be bike friendly! We'll hook you up with:
- Business recognition and showcasing on our website and through our Instagram and Twitter feeds
- Tweets and posts about your bike friendly activities such as events you’re hosting or participating in
- Invitation to Bikes & Brews, a kick-off party for approved Bike Friendly Businesses
- Guidance and support as part of Canmore’s Bike Friendly Business Community
- Opportunity to receive a subsidy for bike infrastructure on your property
Apply to become a Bike Friendly Business today! Check out the application form here to get started: 2018 Bike Friendly Business Application Form