The design of our roadways is fundamental to our quality of life and the livability of our community. Mobility goals have changed over the years to better suit our community values.
- Manage current and future mobility demands by providing a range of safe, comfortable and efficient transportation options to people of all ages and abilities;
- Provide excellent multi-modal connectivity between neighbourhoods and destinations;
- Maintain or enhance Canmore's sense of place including the Town Centre as the heart of our community;
- Create conditions for sustained, high-quality, year-round maintenance of transportation facilities.
- Create equality between the different ways people move and among all members of our community.
To improve accessibility, comfort, and safety of the pedestrian connection between Bow Valley Trail and the Town Centre, we will be improving the existing corridor to better accommodate people walking and biking, and allow for proper winter maintenance.
It is anticipated that construction will begin in 2017.
We will make every effort to ensure access through this crossing is maintained during construction. Temporary closures may result as required by construction activities to ensure public safety, and advanced notification will be provided. Impacts to adjacent businesses and residences will be minimized.
The enhancements to the existing pathway are aimed at accomplishing the following:
- Improve the comfort and safety for all users
- Create a functional connection for year-round maintenance and use
- Improve the connection between the Town Centre and the Hospital area
- Accommodate the increase in user volumes
- Create an intuitive pathway that encourages and promotes use
- Improve the connection between the Town Centre and the businesses and residences of Bow Valley Trail
This image illustrates the design concept for the improved corridor: