The Town of Canmore has three existing dog parks (Quarry Lake, 1A/Cougar Creek and Elk Run / Glacier Drive). Even so, several existing neighbourhoods don’t have convenient access to a dog park. We know through monitoring that incidences of off leash dogs throughout the community and in important wildlife habitat areas are high. By providing up to three additional, conveniently located, thoughtfully planned dog parks, we hope to see a reduction in the number of illegal off leash dogs.
Proposed New Sites
How Did We Get to These Three Sites?
16 candidate sites throughout the community were initially identified. This list was then shortlisted to 10 sites from which the final 3 were selected. Key criteria for the sites included:
- Town owned land, or a willingness to consider the use by the owner.
- Ability to fence the area.
- Compliance with land use district for the use of dog park.
- Number of dogs in the area.
- Walkability to the site.
- Distribution of dog parks throughout the community.
Here are the initial sites that were considered:
Standard Mitigations on Each Site
- Four or five foot fencing
- Poo bag dispensers
- Pedestrian garbage bins
- Self-closing gate
There are over 140 registered dogs in Three Sisters, and currently no off leash dog parks in the area. Please see the map below for the location of the proposed site in Three Sisters.
There are over 155 registered dogs in Spring Creek & South Canmore, and currently no off leash dog parks in the area. Please see the map below for the location of the proposed site in Spring Creek.
There are over 45 registered dogs in the Palliser and Silvertip area, and currently no off leash dog parks in the area. Please see the map below for the location of the proposed site in the Palliser area.
Give us Your Feedback
The opportunity for public feedback is now closed. We will post the results of the feedback in September before the decision comes to Council.
- Collect community feedback on candidate sites – Complete
- Consolidate feedback - September
- Present to Council for decision - October 3
- Prepare and post RFQ for infrastructure installation - October
- Pending Council decision - infrastructure installation - October