Town of Canmore

Property Tax

 Assessment values for 2018 tax purposes are expected to be mailed by

the end of February 2018 with an appeal due date to be 60 days following the date of assessment. 

Annual tax notices will be mailed by the end of May 2018 with a

payment due date of June 29, 2018.


Property taxes are due on the last business day of June, annually.  Review your Annual Property Tax Notice to confirm the due date for the current year. Non-receipt of your property tax bill does not exempt you from penalty due to late payment. 


• As per the Tax Penalty Bylaw 2016-20, a 4.5%  penalty is applied on the first day of each month, January, April, July & October against all tax arrears until paid in full.  Penalties will also be applied to current taxes not paid by the due date as follows: 5% on 2nd business day of July; 6% on 1st business day of August; 7% on 1st business day of September.


• As per direction from the Provincial Government, Titled Parking units are assessed and taxed separately from the living unit.  Separate assessment notices and tax notices are issued.  Please note that this tax is a separate amount and therefore not included in the monthly payment plan for those that are currently enrolled in the Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPP) for the living unit.  Should you wish to enroll on an automatic withdrawal program for the annual payment, please contact the Property Tax Department for the one-time annual debit agreement.  Due to the relatively low levy for Titled Parking Units, the monthly debit plan is not available for parking stalls.

For balance inquiries and transaction history, log into your Virtual Town Hall online services HERE.   Alternatively, contact the Tax Department at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Click here for Property Tax Payment Options

Where Do My Taxes Go?

Your municipal property tax is the Town's primary and most consistent form of revenue.  Your municipal taxes pay for services such as police, emergency services, street maintenance, recreation facilities, social services, planning services, municipal administration and Council costs.

The distribution of your 2017 property taxes was as follows:


School Support

If you have not completed a ‘declaration of faith’ the School Support portion of your taxes is allocated 100% to the Alberta School Foundation Fund (ASFF).

All property owners whether they have children or not, are required to pay education taxes. The Town Of Canmore collects education taxes on behalf of the Alberta School Foundation Fund (ASFF) but has NO jurisdiction over setting the tax rate for school taxes. For more information on Provincial Education Taxes call 310-0000 toll free and ask for 780-422-7125.

Bow Valley Regional Housing (BVRH)

The BVRH requisition is for the Seniors Public Supportive living accommodations in the Bow Valley and is supported by the Town of Canmore, ID#9 (Banff Park), Town of Banff, Kananaskis Improvement District and the M.D. of Bighorn. This requisition is paid by all property owners including Seniors.

Perpetually Affordable Housing (PAH)

The purpose of collecting the PAH (Perpetually Affordable Housing) contribution is to accumulate capital funds for the purchase of land and construction of PAH units. The construction and supply of PAH units is intended to address the affordable housing demand of Canmore residents unable to purchase or rent accommodation on the open market.



Powered by CityFind Site Search