Solar Incentive Program
The Town of Canmore offers an annual solar incentive rebate program for residents and businesses to help offset the cost of purchasing and installing a rooftop solar photovoltaic system in Canmore. Applications for the 2022 solar incentive rebate program are now closed.
Solar Incentive Details:
- The incentive is $1,250, regardless of the size of the system. Minimum requirements are 3 kW solar photovoltaic system,
- The solar system must be installed between March 29 and December 15, 2022. The incentive is not retroactive for existing systems. To receive the incentive, a final paid invoice for the installation and completed Microgeneration Agreement with Fortis must be submitted by December 15, 2022,
- All projects must meet building and electrical safety code requirements. All electrical systems must be CSA or ULC approved for installation in Canada,
- A Development Permit is not required, provided the solar panels do not extend above the peak of the roof, do not extend more than 1.5 metres above the roof at any point, and fit into the range of appropriate roof colors described the Town of Canmore Land Use Bylaw, which are generally darker colors,
- A Building Permit is not required, provided the solar panels are flush mounted on existing construction in an approved manner as per the installation guide. Upstand mounted systems may require both a Development Permit and/or Building Permit, please fill out the Contact Planning form to discuss,
- An Electrical Permit is required - your installer can arrange this for you,
- If requested, eligible applicants must also provide the Town of Canmore with solar generation data and consent to having a photo of their installation and general details about their solar array (e.g., size, estimated energy production) potentially shared with the community in various ways including, but not limited to, newspaper, social media, and the Town of Canmore website.
THINGS YOU SHOULD DO BEFORE YOU APPLY:
It's recommended you obtain a few installer assessments and quotes for your project. Applicants should choose service providers that are familiar with the details of this program. You can visit the CanSIA member directory or Solar Alberta to find a list of installers/contractors serving Canmore.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Applications for the 2022 program are now closed.
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION TO RELEASE THE INCENTIVE: