Town of Canmore

Citizen Perspectives Survey

2023 Citizen Perspectives Survey Underway
The Town of Canmore has contracted Ipsos to conduct a random telephone survey to assess citizens’ attitudes and opinions toward the Town of Canmore, and to understand the day-to-day experiences of local citizens. The results will be used to understand the needs and perceptions of residents, determine satisfaction with municipal services, identify spending priorities, identify areas for improvement, and overall quality of life in Canmore. Conducting this exercise every few years to gather data on a broad number of benchmark questions is a tool to inform future priorities and direction for Town of Canmore Council and administration. This survey contains tracking questions from the 2021 survey to provide a comparative analysis. The data will be randomly collected from residents to reflect the age/gender distribution of the actual population in Canmore according to the most recent Census data. 
Note there is not an online version of this survey in 2023, as the telephone results are more statistically valid and the cost of doing the electronic survey was put towards increasing the number of completed surveys from 300 to 400 to align with Canmore's population growth.
If you see an incoming call from 403.668.0393, please consider answering it and giving your feedback.
The most recent survey results are below.

  pdf Spring 2021 (1.55 MB)  

Highlights from the random telephone survey include: 

  • 83% of Canmore residents are satisfied with the Town of Canmore’s response to the pandemic.
  • 98% of residents continue to rate the overall quality of life in Canmore as good or very good.
  • 62% of the respondents indicated their quality of life in Canmore had improved or stayed the same over the past four years, and the other 38% indicated it had worsened.
  • Top of mind issues are: too many tourists and visitors, population growth, too busy, too much development, cost of living, and increased traffic were noted as a reasons for a deterioration in quality of life.
  • 99% of residents continue to feel safe in Canmore, and 93% feel a sense of belonging in their own neighbourhood.
  • 84% of the respondents feel they are getting good or very good value for their tax dollars.
  • Citizens want us to provide them with more information about planning/land use and development and want more community updates on roads and transportation, council meetings, community events, budget/taxes, and generally “what’s new.”
  • 86% of respondents note their desire to provide input into decision-making about Town of Canmore projects and services, 64% indicate that they have enough opportunities to provide input. 62% agree that the Town of Canmore uses input from residents when making decisions.
  • 73% of residents are satisfied with how the community is being run.
  • It is clear that the public wants to be kept better informed about how the Town of Canmore will address growth, and fewer residents think we are doing a good job of managing the level of development and growth - especially in the Three Sisters area. 

Past Survey Results

  pdf Spring 2017 (2.47 MB)

  pdf Fall 2014 (1.41 MB)

  pdf Fall 2012 (2.13 MB)

The Town of Canmore is located within Treaty 7 region of Southern Alberta. In the spirit of respect, reciprocity and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Canmore area, known as “Chuwapchipchiyan Kudi Bi” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “shooting at the willows”) and the traditional Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw First Nation, Chiniki First Nation, and Goodstoney First Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region 3, within the historical Northwest Métis homeland. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play and help us steward this land and honour and celebrate this territory. We commit to working to live in right relations and to advance Truth and Reconciliation.

Website Security Test