Voter Eligibility

You are eligible to vote in this election if:

  • You are at least 18 years of age
  • You are a Canadian citizen
  • You have lived in Alberta for six consecutive months before election day (since April 16, 2017)
  • You live in Canmore on election day
  • You provide the required identification.

Rules of Residence

48(1) For the purposes of the Local Authorities Election Act, the place of residence is governed by the following rules:

  • a person may be a resident of only one place at a time for the purposes of voting under this Act;

                (a.1)   if a person has more than one residence in Alberta, that person shall, in accordance with subsection (1.1), designate one place of residence as the person’s place of residence for the purposes of this Act;

  • the residence of a person is the place where the person lives and sleeps and to which, when the person is absent, the person intends to return;
  • a person does not lose the person’s residence by leaving the person’s home for a temporary purpose;
  • subject to clause (e), a student who
    • attends an educational institution within or outside Alberta,
    • temporarily rents accommodation for the purpose of attending an educational institution, and
    • has family members who are resident in Alberta and with whom the student ordinarily resides when not attending an educational institution

      is deemed to reside with those family members;

  • if a person leaves the area with the intention of making the person’s residence elsewhere, the person loses the person’s residence within the area.
  • (1.1) For the purposes of subsection (1)(a.1), a person shall designate the person’s place of residence in accordance with the following factors in the following order of priority:
    • the address shown on the person’s driver’s licence or motor vehicle operator’s licence issued by or on behalf of the Government of Alberta or an identification card issued by or on behalf of the Government of Alberta;
    • the address to which the person’s income tax correspondence is addressed and delivered;
    • the address to which the person’s mail is addressed and delivered.

Voter Identification

Proof of identity and current residence is now required to be able to vote in municipal elections.

Any of the following documents that has your name and address on it will be accepted as valid proof:


  • Photo identification issued by a Canadian government or agency, whether federal, provincial or local;
  • Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque;
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university;
  • Government cheque or cheque stub;
  • Income/property tax assessment notice;
  • Insurance policy or coverage card;
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee;
  • Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation;
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement;
  • Statement of government benefits: e.g. Employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support, or child tax benefit;
  • Utility bill: e.g. Telephone, public utilities commission, television, electricity, gas or water;
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate; or
  • A letter or form (attestation) confirming that the person lives at the stated address. The letter can be signed by any of the following:
    • authorized representative of a commercial property management company;
    • authorized representative of a correctional institution;
    • authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve;
    • authorized representative of a post-secondary institution;
    • authorized representative of a facility that provides services to the homeless; or
    • authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment centre.