Interacting with the Town of Canmore on Social Media
This notice has been written to explain how the Town of Canmore interacts with the public on social media platforms.
Purpose of Social Media
The communications department uses Town of Canmore social media accounts to provide information, highlight the work being done by the Town of Canmore, and direct users to content posted on our website. Social media is also used to provide emergent and time-sensitive information. By following our social media accounts, you can expect to see information about Town of Canmore programs, services, initiatives, and projects in which we are involved.
Town of Canmore social media accounts are not used to collect public input or feedback on initiatives, although social media may be used to promote opportunities to provide feedback. Questions or feedback to Council should be provided through one of the options on Connect with Council and not through our social media accounts.
Reports of issues with roads, power, water, or infrastructure, should be made through our Contact Us page, and not through social media.
Town of Canmore may participate in online community group discussions to provide clarity, correct misinformation, and to interact with Canmore residents.
The communications department will read comments and participate in discussions when appropriate. We ask that your comments be relevant and respectful.
Recognizing there is enough negativity on social media already, we aim to foster a safe and open community across social media platforms, and protect social media users from inappropriate and harmful discourse.
The Town of Canmore is committed to establishing and maintaining a respectful workplace and has a Respectful Workplace Policy. Staff, elected officials, volunteers, contractors, and business partners have a right to a workplace where they are treated fairly and with dignity, respect, and honesty. Behaviours not in alignment with the Town’s Respectful Workplace Policy will not be tolerated.
Code of Conduct
We have created a Code of Conduct for Social Media Platforms to help keep a respectful online environment. There are real people behind screens and keyboards reading or even monitoring the Town of Canmore social media accounts and everyone deserves to be treated respectfully.
- Questions pertaining to the topic
- Requests for clarification if anything in our content is unclear
- Engagement with other commenters in a respectful manner
- Sharing our social media content
We will not tolerate:
- Harassment of the Town of Canmore staff, Council, or other members of the community. This includes all forms of bullying, name-calling, intimidation, retaliation, sexual harassment, coercion, or humiliation
- Intentionally trying to instigate conflict, hostility, or arguments in an online social community
- Language that is vulgar, aggressive, coarse, violent, obscene, pornographic, or culturally insensitive
- Discrimination against any other member of the community for any reason such as racist, hateful, sexist, homophobic, slanderous, or insulting messages
- Perpetuating misinformation including attempts to discredit others by spreading false information
- Unproven or inaccurate accusations against individuals or organizations
- Spam in our comments section
- Comments or questions that are irrelevant to the post
- Leaving comments for the purpose of commercial advertising or self-promotion
- Rude or abusive comments directed at an individual or an organization
- Encouragement of illegal activity
- Messages causing significant emotional distress to any other person
- Humour that is degrading, offensive, demeaning, embarrassing, or insulting (e.g., gifs, memes)
Any comments that infringe on this Code of Conduct will be subject to removal at the sole discretion of the Town of Canmore communications department. Posts that are unintelligible or irrelevant will be removed. Users who have their comments removed will be notified of the removal and directed to this webpage to help them understand the reason their comment was removed.
Please help us flag inappropriate comments.
To prevent continued inappropriate comments, a user may be blocked from the Town of Canmore social media platform after three repeat offenses of the above code of conduct. The user will receive a notification reading "Your comments have repeatedly infringed upon the Town of Canmore's Code of Conduct for social media and this is your final warning. Your next violation will result in being blocked from this page."
Applicable Town of Canmore Platforms