Tourist Home Enforcement Process Upheld
Two weeks ago Council received a request from a local resident to reconsider the process administration follows to address illegal tourist home rentals. Currently, administration serves suspected illegal operators with a stop order and a violation ticket with a $2,500 fine at the same time. Anyone receiving a ticket can pay it or appeal it to the courts. The request was that Council direct administration to issue only a stop order, then give the operator a grace period to comply before serving the violation ticket and fine. Council chose to accept the request as information only, as they felt extensive public education and a period of issuing warnings has already occurred. Council also stated they heard loud and clear from the public they wanted more enforcement on this issue and will be upholding the current process. To learn more about tourist homes in Canmore visit Vacation Rentals and Tourist Homes
Drug and Alcohol Policy Approved
With the upcoming legalization of cannabis, employers and staff are looking for guidance about what use is and is not permitted in the workplace. The policy approved today addresses the use of cannabis on the job, along with the use of medication, alcohol, and other drugs. It provides clarity on fitness for work to ensure the safety of employees, the public, and Town property. The policy will be posted on the website in the next day or two.
Council also approved:
· An amendment to the Taxi Bylaw that adds a requirement for taxi drivers to pass a written test before they can be issued with their licenses; visit Taxis for details and a link to the online training program.
· Changes to the Land Use Bylaw related to wildfire and overland flooding risk, green building regulations, and a clean-up of formatting and language;
· The 2018 fee schedule for planning and development, which can be found here: Fee Schedule;
· The Canmore Town Centre Parking Study, as well as a project to complete an Integrated Parking Management Plan Integrated Parking Management;
· A traffic calming pilot project for Benchlands Trail Background - Transportation in Canmore; and
· Pay adjustments for the Solid Waste Services Team.
To read any of the reports and attachment in the council agenda package visit