There were two meetings today – a special business meeting to pass the 2019 property tax bylaw and a committee of the whole meeting, where Council heard briefing reports from the public and from administration.
Property Tax Bylaw
Each year the Town collects taxes from residential and commercial property owners to satisfy approved budget requirements. The Town also collects revenue for perpetually affordable housing, and is required to collect provincial education tax, the seniors housing requisition, and linear and industrial assessment requisitions. While the total amount being collected has increased slightly since last year, whether or not an individual owner will see an increase in their bill depends on their property assessment. For more information click here Property Tax
There were five presentations from members of the public. If you are interested in learning more about any of these topics, you can read the written submissions in the meeting agenda package.
- The Canmore Collegiate High School Gay-Straight Alliance Group shared ideas for celebrating diversity in Canmore.
- The Bow Valley Clean Air Society congratulated the Town for approving the Climate Change Action Plan and described their efforts to improve and protect the air quality in the Bow Valley and minimize regional contributions to climate change.
- The Palliative Care Society of the Bow Valley described plans to open a 6-bed residential hospice in Canmore.
- YWCA Banff spoke to their proposal to build a facility in Canmore with services that address domestic and sexual violence in the Bow Valley.
- Epcor, the Town’s water and wastewater services provider, presented their 2018 performance report.
Cultural Master Plan Update
Annalee Adair, the consultant preparing Canmore’s new Cultural Master Plan, presented Council with the information they have gathered so far with their community engagement activities. Next steps include further developing priorities, creating a measurement and evaluation framework, and working towards an implementation plan. To learn more about this project click here Cultural Advisory Committee
Committee of the Whole Regular Features
- Councillor Updates – a monthly report on the activities of individual councillors
- Service Area Reports – each department provides a summary of operational activities
- Council Resolution Action List – direction given by Council to administration
- Bow Valley Regional Housing updates