Update to Council’s Strategic Plan
Conditions in Canmore have changed since Council approved their strategic plan in June of 2018. COVID-19, global influences, and budget constraints require an adjustment to priorities.
While some progress has been made on Council’s original priorities, new emerging priorities were identified earlier this year, and our response to COVID-19 required a shift in priorities as many projects were delayed or cancelled as part of the Town of Canmore’s budget reductions to avoid the increase to property taxes this year. After a priority-setting exercise, followed by group collaboration, Council found general consensus with their top five priorities for 2020-2022.
- Community – Proceed with a near carbon neutral construction plan for a new fire hall.
- Livability - Prioritize the safety of the community during the COVID-19 pandemic by increasing maintenance and accessibility of outdoor amenity space.
- Strong Economy - Lead a community conversation on a sustainable vision for tourism in Canmore.
- Transportation - Create intercept parking opportunities and implement paid parking to fund free local transit services and manage congestion.
- Environmental Sustainability - Reduce our community impact on climate change by implementing a commercial organics diversion prog
Council’s 2019-2022 Strategic Plan can be found at