FORGET YOU’RE INDOORS
Climbing Gym Upgrade
From October 12 - 22, we are upgrading the "real-rock" structure to a new climbing wall! This is a significant improvement that will make the EP Climbing Gym an even better climbing space. The new wall will:
- Provide a new climbing angle: steep slab at -2 and -5 degrees to provide exhilarating and intricate footwork and balance climbing
- Three new anchors, brining us to 100 routes
- Walltopia will ensure a great match for function and look
- More climbing for people who want to use balance, rather than strength
We've had this exciting install scheduled for over a year! Here's what to expect during construction:
- The project begins October 12 and is scheduled for completion on October 22
- Most of the work will occur overnight while the gym is closed; however, the slab wall area to the interior passage will remain unavailable during open hours.
Our climbing gym is like no other. Designed by the world renowned climbing company Walltopia, our interior will make you forget you’re indoors due to the natural light and open spaces. Our training area has been designed so you can make the most of your climbing experience. Whether you are a beginner or training for international competition, you will love our wall!
If you have never climbed before, our staff will show you where and how to start your vertical adventures – It’s great family fun for ages 4 years and older! Climbers under 13 years old require adult supervision (one adult to a maximum of 3 climbers under 13) at all times in the climbing wall.
First time at the wall? pdf Click here! (5.11 MB)
Waivers and Acknowledgement of Risk form
Please sign a waiver (climbers over age 18) or Acknowledgement of Risk form (climbers under age 18) before arriving at the climbing gym. Adults must provide photo ID for their first visit.
For the online calendar showing what’s happening in recreation click here!
- 1,000 square meters (11,000 sqr ft) of climbing surface as high as 15 m (45′) at its peak
- Varied terrain with over 100 colour-coded climbs for climbers of all abilities
- Over 40 climbing lines for top roping or lead climbing
- Seven automatic belay systems that require minimal training or experience
- Extensive bouldering terrain
- Equipment rentals for indoor climbing
Registration for fall programming is now available online here. Programs for beginners to experts, and for children to adults are taught by our professional instructors and are designed to help you master the skills of the climbing walls!
We have extensive Covid-19 health measures in place to keep everyone at Elevation Place safe. In the video below, learn about the protocols in place for child and youth programming in the climbing gym.
We still offer a great climbing experience, but it is different. Our staff care about your safety and want to ensure that our facility remains open. Your understanding and cooperation is greatly appreciated.
- Our capacity is limited so that you will have room to climb and not be crowded.
- You can make a booking so that you know with confidence when you will be able to climb. To ensure others have time to climb, please respect your two-hour climbing limit.
- We are reducing capacity even further on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. so that our more vulnerable patrons, such as seniors, those with disabilities, and persons with compromised immune systems can access our spaces with ease and certainty. While anyone is welcome during this time, we encourage more vulnerable users to plan their recreation during these times.
- Please arrive dressed to climb. There is no access to change rooms and there is limited space for your personal items.
- We ask that you use the liquid chalk we provide (which is also an effective hand sanitizer).
We will be cleaning the ground level surfaces frequently, but we are not able to clean the climbing holds on the wall between climbs. Please adhere to the following safe climb procedure:
- Complete your safety checks as usual, but with more physical distance.
- Please sanitize your hands with liquid chalk or hand sanitizer before climbing.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth during the climb.
- Do not bite the rope during lead climbing.
Canmore's Mandatory Mask Bylaw (2020-20) is now in effect.
The following Climbing patrons will wear masks, according to the Canmore Mandatory Mask Bylaw (2020-20):
- Supervising adults
- Patrons waiting for their turn in a belay team or on Automatic Belay Systems
- Patrons on a rest break
- Patrons on orientations or belay tests
The bylaw does not require masks during physical exertion. Patrons may still choose to wear masks when:
- Climbing on ropes, Automatic Belay Systems, or while bouldering
- Taking brief rests between boulder routes, Automatic Belay System routes (still connected), or in the training area.
There are some exceptions to this bylaw, including persons with underlying medical conditions and children participating in Big Fun day camps. For more information on the mask bylaw and its exceptions, please click here.
A limited number of masks are available for purchase for $1 at the Customer Experience Desk.
Climbing Shoes $6 + GST
Harness $5 + GST
Belay Device $2 + GST
Package (Shoes, Harness, Belay Device) $10 +GST
Member/Youth Package Deal $8 + GST
Chalk Bag $2 + GST (not included in packages)